Equilibrium and tension (2 questions)

In summary, the first part of the conversation discusses finding the time it takes for a mass to reach equilibrium when dropped from a spring with constant 'k'. The second part discusses finding the tension at the lowest point of a pendulum with length L and mass M, using conservation of mechanical energy and the y component of the problem. The summary concludes with a question about finding the speed and height of the pendulum.
nightshade123
1)A mass 'm' is dropped from a spring with constant 'k'. find the time it takes to reach equilibrium.

im pretty sure i can use this eqn
T = 2*PI*sqrt(m/k)

2)find the tension at the lowest point of the pendulum, with length L and mass M.

there will be zero work done by tension at the bot, it is at a r. angle. I am thinking you have to use k + U = k_0 + U_0 for conservation of mechanical energy, but i was also thinking of using the y component of the problem.

T - m*g = a * m

a = v^2 / r

T = m*g + m*(v^2/r)

v = omega*r and omega = sqrt (g/L)

T = m*g +(m*g) / L

this doesn't seem right

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

nightshade123 said:
1)A mass 'm' is dropped from a spring with constant 'k'. find the time it takes to reach equilibrium.

im pretty sure i can use this eqn
T = 2*PI*sqrt(m/k)
You will certainly need that result.

2)find the tension at the lowest point of the pendulum, with length L and mass M.

there will be zero work done by tension at the bot, it is at a r. angle. I am thinking you have to use k + U = k_0 + U_0 for conservation of mechanical energy, but i was also thinking of using the y component of the problem.

T - m*g = a * m

a = v^2 / r

T = m*g + m*(v^2/r)
Looks good. How will you find the speed? From what height was it released?

v = omega*r and omega = sqrt (g/L)

T = m*g +(m*g) / L
:confused:

wouldnt v or h be given in the question? these are just general questions i have right now not h/w or anything.

but
for velocity

(mv^2)/r = m*g

v^2 = g*rim not to sure what to do for height

Last edited:

What is equilibrium and how does it relate to tension?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no change in motion. Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, cable, or other similar object. It is related to equilibrium because when an object is in equilibrium, the tension in all the strings or cables attached to it must be equal and opposite to the other forces acting on the object.

How is tension calculated in a system at equilibrium?

In a system at equilibrium, the tension in a string or cable can be calculated using the equation T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes that the object is not accelerating and that the tension in the string or cable is constant throughout. It can also be calculated by summing all the forces acting on the object and setting them equal to zero, resulting in the equation T = F1 + F2 + ... + Fn = 0, where F is the force acting on the object and n is the number of forces.