Group Theory Notation: SO(n,1) & Poincare Groups Explained

In summary, the group SO(n,1) is the orthogonal group with 1 extra sign in its signature, and the Poincare group is the group of translations in n+1 dimensions. The importance of double cover of a group is that it gives you extra symmetries which you can study separately.
arroy_0205
1. I understand the meaning of group SO(3) etc, but what is meant by say SO(n,1) or Poincare(n,1)group?

2. what is the importance of double cover of a group in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll give my two cents, since this has not received any answer yet.
arroy_0205 said:
1. I understand the meaning of group SO(3) etc, but what is meant by say SO(n,1) or Poincare(n,1)group?
I never saw the notation Poincare(n,1), and I don't know if it is standard.
SO(n,1) correspond to the so-called indefinite orthogonal group in which some of the signs in the signature have been flipped.

2. what is the importance of double cover of a group in physics?
This is a very general question. Covering groups apprear everywhere really, from elementary spin in quantum mechanics to orbifold and Thurston's geometrization conjecture. A group and its cover have identical local properties but can have global (topological) different features. The basics in quantum mechanics for particle physics is that you are interested in irreducible representations of Lie groups. There is a unique simply connected group given the corresponding Lie algebra. As far as I understand, further topological properties will give you additional discrete (quantum numbers) symmetries, the breaking of which are usually studied separately from the representation theory.

This is not very clear to me, I hope I do not confuse you more than I help :smile:

Last edited:
SO(3) is the group of transformations on R^3 which preserves the bilinear form [itex]x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2[/itex] and does not perform an inversion on the space.

SO(3,1) is the group which preserves [itex]x_0^2 - x_1^2 - x_2^2 - x_3^2[/itex], i.e. the Lorentz invariant form.

SO(n,1) is the obvious generalization of that.

I've never seen the notation Poincaré(n,1) either. However, I know that the Poincaré group is SO(3,1) and the translation group in 4 dimensions (i.e. all the symmetries of special relativity), so I assume Poincaré(n,1) is SO(n,1) along with the translation group in n+1 dimensions.

From wikipedia, it appears that masudr is right : Poincare(n,1) is the isometric or affine of spacetime with signature (n,1). This notation of the author ot the anyon article directs to "Poincare group" where this notation is not used. The reason is was not positive that it is simply the Poincare group is that this notation is kind of odd. The raison d'etre of this notation is to allow for Poincare(p,q) with q time dimensions. I don't know that anybody really uses that, so does it really deserve a notation on wiipedia ?

Not even to mention the fact that everybody would use the (semi-direct) product of SO(p,q) with [tex]\mathbb{R}^{p,q}[/tex], so there is already such a notation in principle.

1. What is the purpose of using group theory notation in physics?

Group theory notation is used in physics to describe symmetries and transformations in physical systems. By using group theory, we can understand and analyze the underlying structure of these systems, which can provide valuable insights into their behavior and properties.

2. What does SO(n,1) represent in group theory notation?

SO(n,1) refers to the special orthogonal group in n dimensions with a signature of one negative direction. This group represents transformations that preserve the distance between points in a space and also preserve the orientation of objects.

3. How does the Poincare group relate to special relativity?

The Poincare group is a mathematical framework that describes the symmetries of spacetime, including translations, rotations, and Lorentz transformations. This group is essential in understanding the principles of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

4. Can you provide an example of an application of SO(n,1) in physics?

One example of SO(n,1) in physics is its use in understanding the symmetries of black holes. The event horizon of a black hole has a spherical symmetry, which can be described by the SO(3,1) subgroup of SO(n,1). This notation allows us to analyze the behavior of particles near a black hole and make predictions about its properties.

5. How does group theory notation contribute to our understanding of particle physics?

Group theory notation is essential in the study of particle physics as it allows us to classify particles based on their properties and interactions. The Poincare group, in particular, is used to describe the symmetries of fundamental particles and their interactions, providing a framework for understanding the fundamental forces of nature.