How to calculate the size of a water accumulator

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
in summary, an accumulator can be used to store energy from a pump, but it would be best to speak to a professional to get an accurate size.
TSN79
I'm in need of a procedure to calculate the size of a hot water accumulator. I already know how to calculate the size based on a single value of needed energy, but not how to take into account the variation of hot water use during a day and such. Hope someone can help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I'm in need of a procedure to calculate the size of a hot water accumulator. I already know how to calculate the size based on a single value of needed energy, but not how to take into account the variation of hot water use during a day and such. Hope someone can help :)

Do you mean a hot water heater with storage tank instead? Accumulators are specific hydraulic equipment used for storing hydraulic energy typically.

CS

I think OP may be referring to accumulators that are used in homes in rural areas and in Boats/Yachts, that have their own pumps etc. Another name is pressure tanks and they prevent the pump from cycling on and off, all the time and also for prevention of water hammer.

As for sizing it would be best to talk to a plumber or plumbing store because there could be codes in your area. Here is a sample:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex1136

stewartcs said:
Do you mean a hot water heater with storage tank instead? Accumulators are specific hydraulic equipment used for storing hydraulic energy typically.
CS

It's simply a storage tank with an electric element (or other source of heat) in it that keeps tap water at a certain temperature. I use some equations show here...

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/design-hot-water-system-d_92.html

...but although they consider time, they don't consider variation in usage. Supposedly there are ways to do this graphically, but I haven't found anything on it...

1. How does the size of a water accumulator affect its functionality?

The size of a water accumulator directly impacts its functionality. A larger accumulator can hold more water, allowing for longer periods of use before needing to refill. However, a smaller accumulator may be more suitable for smaller systems or spaces.

2. What factors should be considered when calculating the size of a water accumulator?

When calculating the size of a water accumulator, factors such as water usage, system pressure, and available space should be taken into account. It is important to ensure that the accumulator is able to meet the demands of the system it is being used in.

3. How do I calculate the necessary volume for a water accumulator?

The necessary volume for a water accumulator can be calculated by multiplying the desired pressure increase (in psi) by the total water usage (in gallons) in a given time period. This will give you the minimum volume required for the accumulator to provide adequate pressure and water supply.

4. Can I use a formula to calculate the size of a water accumulator?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to calculate the size of a water accumulator. One common formula is the Boyle's Law formula, which states that the pressure and volume of a gas are inversely proportional. Therefore, by knowing the desired pressure and volume, the necessary size of the accumulator can be calculated.

5. Are there any online tools or resources available to help with calculating the size of a water accumulator?

Yes, there are several online tools and resources available that can assist with calculating the size of a water accumulator. These tools typically require input of information such as water usage, system pressure, and desired accumulator size, and will provide the necessary calculations and recommendations for the size of the accumulator.