What is the induced current in a loop due to a time-varying magnetic field?

In summary, the question is asking for the induced current in a single-turn circular loop that is coaxial with a solenoid. This can be calculated using Faraday's law, where the induced current is equal to the change in magnetic field over time divided by the resistance. The magnetic field can be calculated using the magnetic field inside the solenoid, with the initial and final magnetic fields being determined by the initial and final currents. The area of the loop can be calculated using its radius, and the induced current can then be determined by dividing the induced emf by the resistance. The final answer should be a positive value.
BroIIy
Hello, this is my 1st time asking a question. May I have some assistance?
I will just copy and paste the question so that I don't mess up anything

Homework Statement

A single-turn circular loop of radius 0.08 m and resistance 6 is coaxial with a solenoid of length 90 cm and a radius of 0.04 m, with 1950 turns. A variable resistor, as indicated in Fig. 30-37, is varied in such a way that the solenoid current falls linearly from 5 A to 1.4 A in 0.3 sec.

link==> http://www.photodump.com/BroIIy/30-37fig.html <==
Figure 30-37

(a) What is the induced current in the loop?

Homework Equations

not really sure, if I did know I could solve it.

The Attempt at a Solution

R1 = .08
Resistance = 6
L = .9
R2 = .04
N = 1950
I1 = 5
I2 = 1.4
T = .3
u_o = 4*pi*10^-7

I3 = E / Resistance
E = (Bf - Bo) * A / T (Bf = Magnetic field final, && Bo = Magnetic field initial)

this is where it gets confusing for me
Bf = u_o * N * I2 / L ?
Bo = ?
A = pi * R1^2 ?

is any of this even in the right direction?
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BroIIy said:
I3 = E / Resistance
E = (Bf - Bo) * A / T (Bf = Magnetic field final, && Bo = Magnetic field initial)
Good. You are applying Faraday's law.

this is where it gets confusing for me
Bf = u_o * N * I2 / L ?
Good. This is the magnetic field inside the solenoid.
Bo = ?
Just use I1.
A = pi * R1^2 ?
Looks good.

is any of this even in the right direction?
You're doing fine.

1st off, thank you Doc Al for taking the time to try and help me however
i don't understand, using my variables is this what you mean? or is there something I am missing?

I3 = E / Resistance
Bf = .0038117991
Bo = 5 ??
A = .020106193
E = ( ( .0038117991 ) - ( 5 ) ) * ( .020106193 ) / .9
E = - .1116159158
I3 = ( - .1116159158 ) / 6
I3 = -.0186026526 ??

or did you mean
Bo = u_o * N * I1 / L ??
Bo = .0136135682
E = ( ( .0038117991 ) - ( .0136135682 ) ) * ( .020106193 ) / .9
E = -2.18973623E-4
I3 = ( -2.18973623E-4 ) / 6
I3 = ( -3.64956038E-5 )

i must warn you i really don't have a full understanding of these concepts. in the book we are using the whole section on this field is only a paragraph long (i can type it out for you if you like). now i have researched (to the best of my abilities) using the internet and also have looked up this information in the other physics books i have stacked around me and this ^ is as far as i was able to get. I am almost 100% sure that the missing concept is from a previous chapter, however we are covering a chapter a day and I am not really absorbing the information all that well. especially when the concepts stack on each other and I am still struggling with the basics.

here is an example of how confused i am about this section, i went into class knowing from a lifetime of experience that same sign magnets repel and opposites attract, then the teacher tried explaining that exact same concept and ended up confusing me. i then started getting all the questions wrong and constantly kept asking the teacher to explain to me why i kept getting them wrong and he kept answering in the same confusing way. it took me a day to figure out that my initial thoughts (same sides repel opposites attract) was the correct format (it took me a day because i wasnt able to get home, and tbh even while typing that I am still confused about it... and it is very annoying...) so what i need here is a big kick in the right direction.

this chapter will be due by the end of the night, and we will be moving on to Magnetism and Matter (due by tomorrow night) but without understanding how the basics work i will only do worse and worse as these chapters continue. (the last chapter i missed 1 question and had absolutly no idea how to get the right answer, and this chapter I am down to 2 questions remaining, this one i atleast got this far while the 2nd question i don't even know where to begin...but next chapter will i miss 3?)

i have been working on these 2 questions for the past 9 hours, so I am going to go to bed now. if anyone feels like taking me by the hand and walking me through this please do so, otherwise when i wake up hopefully my renewed mind will click a bit better. have a good day everyone and good night =)

BroIIy said:
1st off, thank you Doc Al for taking the time to try and help me however
i don't understand, using my variables is this what you mean? or is there something I am missing?

I3 = E / Resistance
Bf = .0038117991
Bo = 5 ??
A = .020106193
E = ( ( .0038117991 ) - ( 5 ) ) * ( .020106193 ) / .9
E = - .1116159158
I3 = ( - .1116159158 ) / 6
I3 = -.0186026526 ??
No, I meant for you to calculate Bo just like you calculated Bf. Using I1 instead of I2, of course.

or did you mean
Bo = u_o * N * I1 / L ??
Bo = .0136135682
E = ( ( .0038117991 ) - ( .0136135682 ) ) * ( .020106193 ) / .9
E = -2.18973623E-4
I3 = ( -2.18973623E-4 ) / 6
I3 = ( -3.64956038E-5 )
Yes, that's what I mean. (I didn't check your full arithmetic, but the method looks OK.)

thank you Doc Al i found out what i had been doing wrong, i had the entering the wrong numbers and had the wrong Area. here is the solution

R1 = .08
Resistance = 6
L = .9
R2 = .04
N = 1950
I1 = 5
I2 = 1.4
T = .3
u_o = 4*pi*10^-7

I3 = E / Resistance
E = (Bf - Bo) * A / T

Bf = u_o * N * i2 / L
Bo = u_o * N * i1 / L
A = pi * R2^2 <--R2 not R1
E = (Bf - Bo) * A / T
i3 = E / Resistance = Answer (note: its positive)

1. What are time-varying magnetic fields?

Time-varying magnetic fields refer to magnetic fields that change over time. This can be in terms of their strength, direction, or location.

2. How are time-varying magnetic fields created?

Time-varying magnetic fields can be created through the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, or through changes in electric current. They can also be created by changing the orientation of permanent magnets.

3. What are the potential health effects of exposure to time-varying magnetic fields?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of exposure to time-varying magnetic fields. Some studies suggest a possible link to an increased risk of leukemia in children, but more research is needed to fully understand the effects.

4. How can time-varying magnetic fields be measured?

Time-varying magnetic fields can be measured using instruments such as magnetometers or Gaussmeters. These devices can detect the strength and direction of magnetic fields.

5. What are some practical applications of time-varying magnetic fields?

Time-varying magnetic fields have various practical applications, including in medical imaging (such as MRI scans), power generation and transmission, and telecommunications. They are also used in everyday devices such as electric motors and generators.