Is there a formula to find a combination of numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the number of combinations for a game with two variables, with an example of 3 times. It is mentioned that there is a formula for calculating this for any number of repetitions, with the example given for 13 and 50 times. The participant also shares a helpful tip of replacing variables with binary bits to easily determine the number of combinations. The expert summarizes that the number of cases would be 3^n or 4^n for three or four values, respectively. The conversation ends with gratitude and well wishes.
cubanopro
Hi, what I meant in the title was:

Let's say that I have two variables in a game and I would like to know how many combination of numbers there is... For example if I have to calculate it for 3 times the possible combinations would be:
a,a,a
a,a,b
a,b,a
b,a,a
b,b,b
b,b,a
b,a,b
a,b,b

Is there a formula to calculate how many it would let's say for 13 times...or for 50 times.
Thanks in advance!
Rafael

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you replace a,b by 0,1, you will see that you have just enumerated all combinations for 3 binary bits, which are 2^3 = 8. If you want to repeat it 13 or 50 times, you will have 2^13 = 8192 or 2^50 = 1125899906842624. If you have three or four values instead of two, then you will have 3^n or 4^n cases.

(If you had 10 values, repeated 5 times, you would have 10^5 cases; the cases themselves are like the digits in a 5-digit number, from 00000 to 99999. Your example with a,b is the same as the digits in a 3-digit number in base 2, from 000 to 111.)

thank you very much Dodo you've been a great help!
You cannot answer my question in a better way. :)

Have a great day!
Rafael

1. Can a formula accurately predict all possible combinations of numbers?

No, it is not possible for a formula to accurately predict all possible combinations of numbers. This is because there are an infinite number of combinations of numbers, and a formula can only account for a finite number of variables.

2. Are there any existing formulas for finding combinations of numbers?

Yes, there are existing formulas that can help find combinations of numbers. For example, the combination formula (nCr) can be used to find the number of ways to choose r items from a set of n items.

3. How do I use a formula to find a specific combination of numbers?

The process of using a formula to find a specific combination of numbers will depend on the specific formula being used. Generally, you will need to input the necessary variables into the formula and then solve for the desired combination.

4. Can a formula be used to find combinations of numbers in any situation?

No, not all situations can be solved using a formula to find combinations of numbers. Some complex or unique situations may require a different approach or may not have a formula that can accurately solve for all combinations.

5. Are there any limitations to using formulas for finding combinations of numbers?

Yes, there are some limitations to using formulas for finding combinations of numbers. For example, some formulas may only work for specific types of combinations or may have restrictions on the range of numbers that can be used. It is important to understand the limitations of a formula before using it to find combinations of numbers.