What are the Properties of Nanoparticles and How Do They Change with Grain Size?

• Thread starter shashankm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is looking for resources on the properties of materials at the nano scale and how they change with grain size. The suggestion is to research the Hall-Petch effect and the work of Chris Schuh from MIT on nanocrystalline nickel alloys. Another suggestion is to refer to Dieter for a basic understanding before diving deeper.
shashankm
can anyone refer me to any site or book where i would get the properties of materials at nano scale and how they change with the change in the grain size?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I wouldn't look towards a book, I would look more towards literature. A good start would be researching grain size strengthening effects noted by Hall and Petch (the Hall-Petch effect).

Chris Schuh from MIT has shown a bunch of recent work on the development of thermodynamically stable nanocrystalline nickel alloys. He's shown pretty conclusively the relationship between grain size and indentation hardness.

Good luck.

you could try Dieter, that might help explain things abit. At least give u a basic idea before moving on.

1. What are nanoparticles?

Nanoparticles are tiny particles with at least one dimension less than 100 nanometers. They can be made from a variety of materials and have unique properties due to their small size.

2. What properties do nanoparticles exhibit?

Nanoparticles exhibit properties such as increased surface area, enhanced reactivity, and unique optical, electrical, and magnetic properties. These properties make them useful in a variety of applications.

3. How are nanoparticles synthesized?

Nanoparticles can be synthesized through various methods, including chemical precipitation, sol-gel synthesis, and physical vapor deposition. The method used depends on the desired properties and intended application of the nanoparticles.

4. What are some potential applications of nanoparticles?

Nanoparticles have a wide range of potential applications, including drug delivery, environmental remediation, electronics, and energy storage. They can also be used in cosmetics, coatings, and sensors.

5. What are the potential risks associated with nanoparticles?

Some studies have shown that certain nanoparticles may have negative impacts on human health and the environment. It is important to conduct thorough research and risk assessments before using nanoparticles in any application.