Hydrolics, Forces and flow rate.

In summary, a person is seeking help in understanding the forces involved in raising a traffic barrier. The barrier uses hydrolics, with a motor speed of 1400 rpm and 1/3 hp and a torque of 200Nm. The pump is a lobe pump with a delivery of 1.5 l/min and moves the hydrolic oil through a hose 50mm2 and into a piston of 1320mm2. The person is unsure of how to calculate the force exerted by the pump/motor using only the mass flow rate. They are also seeking any additional information needed to solve the problem.
GuitarWill88
Hi, I'm currently trying to work out the forces involved in raising a traffic barrier.

It works using hydrolics.

It has a motor that has a speed of 1400 rpm and 1/3 hp. the torque of the motor is 200Nm

the pump is a lobe pump and has a delivery of 1.5 l/min.

The pump will move the hydrolic oil through a hose 50mm2 and then into a piston of 1320mm2

I need to work out the force that the pump/ motor is exerting on the fluid. However i am not sure how i can do this only using the mass flow rate.

If anyone can tell me if this can be done/ how to do it would be great. If there is any additional information needed to solve this problem i can probably provide it.,

Thank, Will.

Engineering news on Phys.org
By traffic barrier do you mean one of those arms that drop down by railway lines? They have a counterweight opposite the arm that basically cancels the weight of arm so you don’t have to lift very much. For the hydraulics you must decide how fast you want it to operate as well as the force needed. Here are some formulas to get you started:
http://www.hydraulic-systems.com/pages/ref_formulas.htm

Thanks, those formulas have been quite useful.

By parking barrier i meant the type of barrier use in car parks to let you in/ out. The are usually powered using an electric motor or a hydrolic pump. The is no counter balance

1. What is the definition of hydraulics?

Hydraulics is a branch of science and engineering that deals with the mechanical properties of fluids, specifically the study of how fluids behave under pressure and the application of this knowledge to create machinery and systems.

2. How do hydraulics work?

Hydraulics work on the principle that when a liquid is placed under pressure, it will transmit that pressure equally in all directions. This allows for the transfer of force from one point to another through the use of a confined fluid, which can then be used to power machinery or control systems.

3. What is the relationship between force and flow rate in hydraulics?

In hydraulics, force and flow rate are directly related. The greater the force applied to a confined fluid, the higher the flow rate will be. This is because as the force increases, the pressure on the fluid also increases, resulting in a greater flow of fluid through the system.

4. How is flow rate measured in hydraulics?

The flow rate in hydraulics is typically measured in gallons per minute (GPM) or cubic meters per second (m3/s). This is done using flow meters, which are devices that measure the volume of fluid passing through a specific point in a given amount of time.

5. What are some common applications of hydraulics?

Hydraulics have a wide range of applications, including in construction equipment, aircraft landing gear, car brakes, and elevators. They are also commonly used in manufacturing processes, such as in presses and machine tools, and in power generation systems, such as dams and turbines.