Beat frequency of strobe lights

In summary, the two strobe lights on top of two tall radio towers have a period of 1.00 s and the same frequency of 1 Hz. When turned on simultaneously, they gradually fall out of synchronization and then come back into flashing synchronously after an 813 s interval. The interval ΔT between the periods of the two beacons is not explicitly defined, but it is relevant in calculating the beat frequency, which involves the superimposition of the two light waves. The speed of light, frequency, and wavelength may also be relevant in finding the beat frequency. It is possible that ΔT refers to the time interval in which 813 oscillations occur, but it is unclear without further information.
begbeg42

Homework Statement

The strobe lights on top of two tall radio towers both have a period of about 1.00 s. When turned on simultaneously, a keen observer notes that during an 813 s interval, the lights gradually fall out of synchronization and then come back into flashing synchronously. What is the interval ΔT between the periods of the two beacons?

Homework Equations

abs(frequency1-frequency2)=beat frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

it would appear that the two strobe lights have the same frequency, frequency=1/period=1 Hz...I don't know what to make of the 813 interval or what exactly delta-T refers to physically

I know the beat frequency involves the superimposition of these two light waves...

Physics news on Phys.org
i have
299,792,458 m/s=speed of light=frequency(wavelength)
is this relevant?

also is the frequency in this time interval 813 Hz? the period is 1 s i.e. the light completes an oscillation every second so in a 813 s time interval there 813 oscillations?

i know that initially f1-f2=0
then abs(f1-f2) doesn't = 0
then it does again...
however I am not sure what delta-T refers to/asks for... and not sure how to work this

nothing? help please!

1. What is the "beat frequency" of strobe lights?

The beat frequency of strobe lights refers to the perceived change in light intensity when two or more strobe lights with slightly different frequencies are used simultaneously. It is also known as the flicker frequency or the difference frequency.

2. How is the beat frequency of strobe lights calculated?

The beat frequency is calculated by taking the difference between the frequencies of the two strobe lights. For example, if one strobe light has a frequency of 10 Hz and another has a frequency of 12 Hz, the beat frequency would be 2 Hz.

3. What causes the beat frequency in strobe lights?

The beat frequency in strobe lights is caused by the interference of the two light sources. When the two lights are slightly out of phase, they create a pulsing effect that is perceived as a change in light intensity.

4. How does the beat frequency affect our perception of the strobe lights?

The beat frequency can affect our perception of the strobe lights by creating the illusion of movement or slowing down of the objects being illuminated. This is due to the change in light intensity created by the interference of the two lights.

5. Are there any potential health risks associated with the beat frequency of strobe lights?

There are no known health risks associated with the beat frequency of strobe lights. However, some people may experience discomfort or headaches when exposed to strobe lights for extended periods. It is recommended to use strobe lights in moderation and to take breaks if any discomfort is experienced.