Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagrams

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an intensity diagram for fluids at rest with different densities. The heavier fluid will be at the bottom and pressure varies linearly with depth. The conversation also includes a hint for finding the pressure at a point, as well as a request for help understanding the concept.
feot09
I was wondering if anyone could please explain what an intensity diagram would look like if you had a layer of fresh water ontop of x amount of meters of salt water (or vice versa). What is the concept behind this? How could you draw it? The question keeps popping up in past exam questions but i can't seem to find a way to awnser it since i have never been taught intensity diagram with two different substance densitys. Is it complicated or am i making it complicated? Thank you very much!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean fluid at rest in different strata?? If so, heavier fluid(per unit volume or higher density) will be at the bottom.

Do you know how pressure varies in fluid at rest? Just write a general equation for pressure at a point.

Hint: pressure at a point at depth h = ρgh. Pressure at a point below depth h = ρgh + pressure due to second column below depth h

Ok so does that mean if i draw the pressure intensity diagram of salt and freshwater, salt water is always going to be at the bottom because of its higher density and they are put on the same pressure intensity diagaram but i just label their different forces at their respective places? Do they have the same or independent gravity center? Thank you so much, i just really need to understand thiis concept. Please bear with me

feot09 said:
Ok so does that mean if i draw the pressure intensity diagram of salt and freshwater, salt water is always going to be at the bottom because of its higher density
Correct. Think of why an air balloon rises up in water.

Pressure varies linearly with depth of fluid. Let's say there are two liquids of densities ρ1 & ρ212) with column height h1 & h2 respectively. Pressure at point below these two columns = ρ1gh1 + ρ2gh2.

Can you show what your attempt has been? It will be easier to help you that way.

What is a Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagram?

A Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagram is a graphical representation of pressure and its intensity within a fluid, typically a gas or a liquid. It is used to visualize the distribution of pressure within a fluid, and can help engineers and scientists understand the behavior of fluids in different scenarios.

What information can be obtained from a Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagram?

A Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagram can provide information about the pressure distribution, pressure gradients, and pressure changes within a fluid. It can also show how pressure is affected by factors such as velocity, viscosity, and density of the fluid, and how it changes over time.

How is a Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagram created?

A Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagram is created by plotting pressure values on the y-axis and distance or position on the x-axis. The shape and slope of the resulting curve can provide insights into the behavior of the fluid, such as the presence of turbulence or changes in flow velocity.

What are some applications of Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagrams?

Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagrams are commonly used in the design and analysis of fluid systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines. They can also be used in aerodynamics, hydraulics, and other fields where the behavior of fluids is important.

What are the limitations of Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagrams?

One limitation of Fluid Mechanics Pressure Intensity Diagrams is that they are based on assumptions and idealized models of fluid behavior, which may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Additionally, they may not account for factors such as turbulence, boundary effects, or compressibility, which can affect the accuracy of the results.