Normalize a wave function problem

In summary, the function cannot be normalized over the space x in (-∞,+∞) without some other ingredients. It needs a negative sign in the exponent to undo what the absolute value does. Once the limits of integration are changed, the integral becomes quite simple.
Gumbercules

Homework Statement

I am unfamiliar with LaTeX (is there a tutorial around, or should I just wing it and risk posting a potential mess?). my problem is that I need to normalize a wave function:
psi(x,t) = Ae^(-bx)e^(-iwt). there are no constraints given.

Homework Equations

integral of psi*psi = 1, limits of integration are negative infinity to positive infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if I use the complex conjugates (psi*psi) the exponential expressions will cancel and I will be left integrating a constant. I get A2x |-[tex]\infty[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex] = 1, which doesn't make much sense. I know this question is relatively easy and that I'm probably missing something simple, but I've been away from this material for a few years and getting back into it is a little rough.
Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The imaginary exponential goes away. Remember conjugating simply changes i->-i, it doesn't do anything to real functions. Your [tex]e^{ - bx} [/tex] remains.

Yep, that's what I was forgetting. Thank you!

Well, now, hold on. The function still cannot be normalized over the space x in (-∞,+∞) without some other ingredients. Perhaps you meant e^(-b|x|)?

sorry, yes, I'm not quite sure how to insert the math symbols.
I checked the problem in the text again and I think the integral I looked up in the table is wrong as I neglected the absolute value. On top of that, the limits of integration were wrong as well. (must've been in a hurry, I guess) My math is very much out of practice, but I could use some help solving the integral

Last edited:
I did not insert any "math symbols". I used shift+backslash to obtain the vertical bar for the absolute value. Also, you could have used "abs(x)". Don't let the notation get in the way of the meaning, but do try to keep it concise.

For the integral, for what values of x is the function different. Then, what transformation can you apply, for those values of x, to make the function the same. This will allow you to do the integral. Hint: the transformation is pretty simple. Think about what the absolute value operation does; the transformation is the opposite of that.

My apologies, I am somewhat fuzzy on my notions of transforms (I did Laplace and Fourier transforms, but that was several years ago with no practice since). I am thinking that I need a negative sign in the exponent to undo what the absolute value does, but I don't see how that will help without changing the limits of integration. My apologies if this is too remedial, I don't want to waste anyone's time. Should I post this in the Calculus forum?

You have the right idea. Split the integral into two ranges of x: one in which x is unaffected by the absolute value (call it X1), and the other in which x is changed by the absolute value (call it X2). You can do the integral over X1 no problem. For the integral over X2, you can do a change of variables (which also changes the limits of integration) ;) After you do this whole manipulation, it will seem quite simple. However, this is a nice example of the general approach of splitting up an integral and applying independent transformations to the integration variables.

I've got it now, thank you very much, Turin!

1. What does it mean to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function means to adjust the amplitude of the function so that it represents a probability distribution. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any given state is equal to 1.

2. Why is normalizing a wave function important?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the probabilities calculated using the function are accurate and meaningful. It also allows for comparison between different wave functions and makes it easier to interpret the results of an experiment.

3. How do you normalize a wave function?

To normalize a wave function, you first square the amplitude of the function at each point. Then you calculate the integral of the squared function over all space. The inverse of this integral is the normalization constant, which you can use to scale the original function to make it a proper probability distribution.

4. What is the difference between normalizing a wave function and normalizing a vector?

Normalizing a wave function and normalizing a vector are similar concepts, but they have different applications. Normalizing a vector involves scaling a vector to have a magnitude of 1, while normalizing a wave function involves scaling the amplitude of the function to represent a probability distribution.

5. Can a wave function be normalized to a value other than 1?

Technically, a wave function can be normalized to any non-zero value. However, normalizing it to a value other than 1 would not accurately represent a probability distribution and would not be meaningful in terms of interpreting the results of an experiment.