Free Flu Vaccines and pleurisy

• Medical
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccines
In summary, the flu vaccine is a good idea for everyone, but especially for people who are at risk for the flu. Adults 50 years or older and those with chronic medical conditions are especially advised to get vaccinated. Women who will be pregnant during the influenza season are also advised to get vaccinated. Health-care workers who are involved in direct patient care should also get vaccinated.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My company is giving free flu vaccinations at my office the end of October, but I think I will opt to use my free voucher to get it sooner at the doctor.

I've gotten the free flu vaccines for the last couple of years and I am so glad I did.

I'm trying to convince Evo Child to get a vaccination, but she's fallen victim to internet misinformation. I don't want her getting the flu. A few years ago she had pnuemonia that lingered and she developed pleurisy. She was very ill for over 6 months. She needs the vaccine and idiot misinformation on the web has her scared. :mad:

Can we get some professional input here? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
As an EMT, I got beat up by the Paramedics and Nurses and Docs that I work with, for not bothering to get a flu shot in previous years. Now I get one each year, especially with all of the patient contacts. Kinda' like a teacher -- lots of carriers that you deal with.

She may get a little sick from the vaccine, but it will only last a day or so, and will not be the full-blown flu (EDIT -- AFAIK, even this is rare). Everybody needs to get both the regular seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine this year. We need to keep this coming flu season under control as much as we can, and it's going to take everybody's help.

Here in France, there's a strange tendency. I used to get a seasonal flu shot about every year (except for those years when I was too late, like when there was that crazy avian flu panic, and everybody got a seasonal flu shot - the stocks were sold out in a few days time). The H1N1 vaccine will probably be available mid - october or so (although the epidemic is already coming up quickly, so it might come too late...). Now, there are a lot of rumors about that vaccine, and about 50% of MD don't want to get it themselves according to a recent poll on the radio ! My own MD isn't keen either :bugeye:
So what's up here ?

Is there actually *any* greater risk for this H1N1 vaccine than for the regular vaccine (except maybe that it might turn out to be less effective, but still more than 0% when you don't get it) ?

Cold and Flu Guidelines from the American Lung Association gives great advice.:smile:
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35868#what

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
And the CDC website resouce for H1N1 info. Click on "Q&A" for info about the vaccine...

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1FLU/

One caveat from the CDC Q&A website that I linked above:

CDC said:
Can seasonal vaccine and novel H1N1 vaccine be administered at the same time?

Inactivated 2009 H1N1 vaccine can be administered at the same visit as any other vaccine, including pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. Live 2009 H1N1 vaccine can be administered at the same visit as any other live or inactivated vaccine EXCEPT seasonal live attenuated influenza vaccine

Last edited:
Excellent Berkeman! :biggrin: Thank you.

From the link (url) that I previously provided we should make mention to all viewers how important it is to read *everything* on the websites that we have presented. Here is something important from the link I earlier provided:

Who Should Get a Flu Shot?

All persons aged 6 months or older, including school children, who want to reduce the risk of becoming ill with influenza or of transmitting influenza to others and are not allergic to eggs.

Adults 50 years or older.

All children aged 6 months through 18 years.

Adults and children with chronic medical conditions, especially asthma, other lung diseases, diabetes and heart disease.

Adults and children with a suppressed immune system.

All women who will be pregnant during the influenza season.

Residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities.

Health-care workers involved in direct patient care.

Out-of-home caregivers and household contacts of children less than 6 months old.

Who Should NOT Get a Flu Shot?

You should NOT get the flu shot this year if

•you are allergic to eggs or any component of the vaccine. The viral material in flu vaccines is grown in eggs.
•you are younger than 6 months.
•you have a history of Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
•you have an acute illness and a fever. You should not get a flu shot until you are feeling better.

:smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for that VoMars! I hadn't heard the contraindication for folks allergic to eggs yet. Is that coming out of the H1N1 trials? Or has that been around for a while for flu vacinations?

It's old news babe! :biggrin:

Thanks again,

Mars

p.s. Noticed you have a HAM radio. CB's are fun while on the road.

berkeman said:
I hadn't heard the contraindication for folks allergic to eggs yet. Is that coming out of the H1N1 trials? Or has that been around for a while for flu vacinations?

I always thought that was a standard thing with at least the flu vaccine being created using eggs...

berkeman said:
Is that coming out of the H1N1 trials?

Sorry, I was in a rush. Let me explain further to avoid confusion. I gave information about "flu" vaccine requested by Evo.

Let's now discuss H1N1 Flu from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The latest update as of September 22, 2009. Here is the beginning of the article, but be sure to read the entire article.

Updated Interim Recommendations for the Use of Antiviral Medications in the Treatment and Prevention of Influenza for the 2009-2010 Season
September 22, 2009 2:00 PM ET

These recommendations have been updated to provide additional guidance for clinicians in prescribing antiviral medications for treatment and prevention of influenza during the 2009-2010 season. In general, the priority use of antiviral medications during this season continues to be in people who are hospitalized with influenza and those at increased risk of influenza-related complications as outlined in the recommendations first posted on May 6, 2009 and updated on September 8, 2009. This document has been updated to:

1. Provide additional context and guidance for clinicians regarding the risk for complications and treatment considerations for young and very young children.

2. Provide more information about the possible underlying physiological conditions that may be associated with neuromuscular and neurocognitive disorders that might contribute to the increased risk of influenza-related complications in persons with these disorders.

3. Provide information regarding the oral dosing dispenser included in the Tamiflu® oral suspension packaging to insure that units of measure on the dosing device and the prescription instructions match.
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/recommendations.htm

Here is the difference between Influenza Vaccines and Antiviral Drugs. :smile:

What are Influenza Vaccines Made of?

Vaccines are designed to boost the body’s immune system. Influenza vaccine is made up of parts of an inactive influenza virus (dead) or a version of the virus which doesn’t have the ability to cause an infection (inert). Once the vaccine enters the blood stream; the normal immune reaction kicks in. The body creates antibodies which attempt to rid the body of the injected virus. This serves to sensitize the body’s immune system. When the body is later confronted with the “real” virus, it is prepared and will effectively fight off the virus.

The Influenza Virus is Grown in Chicken Eggs

A weakened or inactive portion of the influenza virus is injected into the amniotic fluid of a fertilized chicken egg. In the egg and embryo the inactive virus finds a suitable atmosphere where it can multiply. Once it has finished growing, the fluid is removed and purified. This procedure is very limiting especially in cases where there may be a shortage of eggs. The reality of avian virus is real and technically avian flu or bird flu could diminish egg supplies which would lead to a shortage of influenza vaccines. Scientists are working on developing new methods that bypass the use of chicken eggs.

What are Antiviral Drugs Made of?

Antiviral drugs do not contain the active virus. They are designed to destroy the virus. Antiviral drugs are most effective when administered early in the infection. As the infection period lengthens, the virus is incorporated in the host’s cells. This makes it harder to stop. If the viruses are sopped before they enter the cells this can prevent the flu (illness) from occurring or can slow down the illness until the body is able to develop an immune response. Antiviral target viruses before they infest the body’s tissues; once in the cell antiviral drugs are ineffective against.

How Antiviral Drugs are Made?

Antiviral drugs are mostly chemical in nature and can be synthesized in a large scale. They are designed to inhibit viruses from replicating. There are a number of different antiviral drugs available. Their efficacy sometimes is questionable as viruses have a knack of mutating as they adapt to the antiviral drugs. Tamiflu and Relenza are two of the commonly used antiviral drugs to treat an influenza virus infection.
http://pharmacology.suite101.com/article.cfm/flu_vaccine_and_antiviral_drugs#ixzz0SC8BJs6w

If Evo child is susceptible to pleurisy and pneumonia as complications of flu, then yes, she really better get the vaccinations. Otherwise, I don't honestly think that the vaccine risks substantially outweigh the likelihood of actually catching the flu to consider it mandatory unless you work in a hospital or doctor's office, where there's a high likelihood of being exposed to the nastiest flu.

I ignore the seasonal flu vaccine every year. It's too much of a crap shoot whether it's going to protect against anything or not, and I'm not in any high risk category. If I catch flu, I catch flu...a few days off work so I can sit in bed and sniffle actually sounds like a good idea right now.

Moonbear said:
If Evo child is susceptible to pleurisy and pneumonia as complications of flu, then yes, she really better get the vaccinations. Otherwise, I don't honestly think that the vaccine risks substantially outweigh the likelihood of actually catching the flu to consider it mandatory unless you work in a hospital or doctor's office, where there's a high likelihood of being exposed to the nastiest flu.

I ignore the seasonal flu vaccine every year. It's too much of a crap shoot whether it's going to protect against anything or not, and I'm not in any high risk category. If I catch flu, I catch flu...a few days off work so I can sit in bed and sniffle actually sounds like a good idea right now.
She is susceptible and I would prefer she gets the vaccine, so I agree with you. She really needs the vaccine.

I have been terribly ill for weeks with complications from the flu, so getting the vaccines and not being sick since is like a miracle. My employer brings people to our office to give the vaccines, so almost everyone gets them. It's amazing, no one gets sick anymore. I highly recommend them to anyone that can take them. I know from members that have had the flu how sick they get and how long they are sick, it's not a cold, where you have sniffles for a few days. The flu can kill you, and if it doesn't, you think it's going to kill you.

Imagine all those millions of people who do not want to vaccinate themselves now, panicking when the virus mutates and becomes more dangerous. If the original vaccine still protects well against the mutated virus (perhaps it won't protect you from becoming ill anymore, but it may make the illness more mild), you may have missed the boat.

A new vaccine campaign will of course be started, but it will take time to vaccinate a significant part of the country and it takes time to build up immunity from the moment that you get the shot.

Count Iblis said:
Imagine all those millions of people who do not want to vaccinate themselves now, panicking when the virus mutates and becomes more dangerous. If the original vaccine still protects well against the mutated virus (perhaps it won't protect you from becoming ill anymore, but it may make the illness more mild), you may have missed the boat.

A new vaccine campaign will of course be started, but it will take time to vaccinate a significant part of the country and it takes time to build up immunity from the moment that you get the shot.

But even if it mutates, won't the old vaccine still provide some protection?

And that leads me to something I've been wondering. I just recovered from what I am pretty sure was swine flu (I never got sick enough to go to the doctor to get a definite diagnosis). So if it mutates and becomes more lethal, would I have a bit of protection against it, since I had the mild version?

Btw, I still plan to get the swine flu vaccine, if there is enough to go around. I also will get the seasonal flu shot, even though I've never had the flu.

It depends on how much the virus changes. It is possible it can mutate enough to render the vaccine useless, but according to WHO, it is unlikely the virus will mutate enough for this to happen. It is also possible that it will change, but not enough to render the vaccine useless. According to the WHO. the virus seams to be very stable, and it is unlikely it will mutate.

Is the the Swine flu really as bad as the media making sound like? I mean still wasting for the bird flu pandemic that's suppose to kill us all. From what I heard Swine flu is not as bad as the regular flu just it mutates faster making it harder to come with vaccines for it.
From ViewsofMars post said:
I'm impressed by the fact that infants are now using the internet.

Statistically, the vast majority of people who die from the H1N1 virus had compromised immune systems and/or respiratory problems. The fact that she has a previous history of respiratory issues combined with the fact that H1N1 is particularly contagious; She needs to get the vaccine. While I'm not a fan of scare-tactics, perhaps you should tell her that her likelihood of dieing from H1N1 is much greater than that of an average person. The risk of harmful side-affects from the vaccine is very minimal, especially since the alternative is so dangerous for her.

i don't think H1N1 is offered to anyone here except old/young/pregnant/etc. I'm just going to try keeping my vit. D status high and hope for the best.

ViewsofMars said:
[msg.4]Cold and Flu Guidelines from the American Lung Association gives great advice.:smile:
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35868#what

ViewsofMars said:
[msg.7] [snip]

From the link (url) that I previously provided we should make mention to all viewers how important it is to read *everything* on the websites that we have presented. Here is something important from the link I earlier provided:

:smile:

Who Should Get a Flu Shot?

All persons aged 6 months or older, including school children, who want to reduce the risk of becoming ill with influenza or of transmitting influenza to others and are not allergic to eggs.

Adults 50 years or older.

All children aged 6 months through 18 years.

Adults and children with chronic medical conditions, especially asthma, other lung diseases, diabetes and heart disease.

Adults and children with a suppressed immune system.

All women who will be pregnant during the influenza season.

Residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities.

Health-care workers involved in direct patient care.

Out-of-home caregivers and household contacts of children less than 6 months old.

Who Should NOT Get a Flu Shot?

You should NOT get the flu shot this year if …

•you are allergic to eggs or any component of the vaccine. The viral material in flu vaccines is grown in eggs.
•you have a history of Guillain-Barre Syndrome.
•you have an acute illness and a fever. You should not get a flu shot until you are feeling better.
scott1 said:
[msg. 17]
ViewsofMars
I'm impressed by the fact that infants are now using the internet.

Scott1, don't be silly. Perhaps you need to reread my messages since you obviously didn't in the first place.

ViewsofMars said:
Scott1, don't be silly. Perhaps you need to reread my messages since you obviously didn't in the first place.

No, he was obviously joking.

berkeman said:
No, he was obviously joking.

Berkeman, I have to disagree with you. If you look at Scot1's message 17 then you will see he quote-mined from a larger article as noted in my earlier posting on this page 2 that was also presented on page 1. Scot1 has distorted the truth by doing so in message 17, and I'm most definitely not impressed by his silly, curt remark which he *directed* at me. His reponse to me was this, "I'm impressed by the fact that infants are now using the internet." I don't appreciate it as a muture adult.

This is and should be a serious topic of discussion which was initiated by Evo.

Last edited:
I'm a female over 50 years old that has never had the flu. :smile: I'm very healthy. The last time I had a cold was when I was in my teens.

ViewsofMars said:
Berkeman, I have to disagree with you. If you look at Scot1's message 17 then you will see he quote-mined from a larger article as noted in my earlier posting on this page 2 that was also presented on page 1. Scot1 has distorted the truth by doing so in message 17, and I'm most definitely not impressed by his silly, curt remark which he *directed* at me. His reponse to me was this, "I'm impressed by the fact that infants are now using the internet." I don't appreciate it as a muture adult.

This is and should be a serious topic of discussion which was initiated by Evo.
I wasn't directing anything at you I just made a simple joke, don't take my joke too seriously.

Also no one has ever answered question

Last edited:
scott1, a lot of it is simply fear of the unknown and "what-ifs", but swine flu is definitely something to be concerned about. swine flu is actually killing people, especially those with breathing problems and the obese from what I've read. probably at least as serious as regular flu.

bird flu otoh, infected very very few people, which means it didn't really cross the species barrier as was "feared". if there's anything positive that came over panic from bird flu, i think it would be the extra diligence in protecting the food supply (chickens).

It was raining cats and dogs the day the free flu shots were being given out here (one of my friends organizes it and donations to local charities are collected)... so I instead went and got my flu shot at Target for ~$25. I thought it would be important to get it this year since I'm nursing little E, who at 2-3 months is too young to get it herself. I'm surprised there's no mention of "breastfeeding mothers" in the list of "who should get the flu vaccine" lists.

I don't normally get sick, but two years ago I got the flu so bad I was hospitalized for half a week (my pancreas had swollen as a result of dehydration/vomiting... they were actually afraid I had pancreatitis, but the CAT was negative for that). Even so, if it was just me (and a baby wasn't in the house), I'd be like Moonbear and just take my chances.

As an aside, a nurse in our school system died from a suspected case of H1N1 (she was 59 and diabetic, therefore at a higher risk of complications from normal flus... but gee, you should have seen the fear-mongering that brought on!). Actually this was, for us, rather sad, since she served at our son P's school the previous year, and we'd seen her in one of our farmer's markets shortly before the school year started... right after little E was born, so P was in fine form showing off his baby sis.

physics girl phd said:
It was raining cats and dogs the day the free flu shots were being given out here (one of my friends organizes it and donations to local charities are collected)... so I instead went and got my flu shot at Target for ~$25. I thought it would be important to get it this year since I'm nursing little E, who at 2-3 months is too young to get it herself. I'm surprised there's no mention of "breastfeeding mothers" in the list of "who should get the flu vaccine" lists.

I don't normally get sick, but two years ago I got the flu so bad I was hospitalized for half a week (my pancreas had swollen as a result of dehydration/vomiting... they were actually afraid I had pancreatitis, but the CAT was negative for that). Even so, if it was just me (and a baby wasn't in the house), I'd be like Moonbear and just take my chances.

As an aside, a nurse in our school system died from a suspected case of H1N1 (she was 59 and diabetic, therefore at a higher risk of complications from normal flus... but gee, you should have seen the fear-mongering that brought on!). Actually this was, for us, rather sad, since she served at our son P's school the previous year, and we'd seen her in one of our farmer's markets shortly before the school year started... right after little E was born, so P was in fine form showing off his baby sis.

Actually I think you would be covered in the list of those who should get it. I am pretty sure the CDC recommended that anyone who is in contact with or lives with anyone under 2 should get the vaccine.

scott1 said:
I wasn't directing anything at you I just made a simple joke, don't take my joke too seriously.

The evidence suggests otherwise. And, I don't take you too seriously. :smile:

The lastest information from the World Heath Organization - DISEASE OUTBREAKS, 2 October 2009 Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - update 68 is noted on the upper left of this website http://www.who.int/csr/alertresponse/en/ . If you click it on you will be directed over to this website: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_10_02/en/index.html , which states the following:

Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - update 68
Weekly update

As of 27 September 2009, worldwide there have been more than 340,000 laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009 and over 4100 deaths reported to WHO.

As many countries have stopped counting individual cases, particularly of milder illness, the case count is significantly lower than the actually number of cases that have occurred. WHO is actively monitoring the progress of the pandemic through frequent consultations with the WHO Regional Offices and member states and through monitoring of multiple sources of data.

Transmission of influenza virus and rates of influenza-like-illness (ILI) continue to increase in the temperate regions of the northern hemisphere. In North America, influenza transmission is geographically widespread and continues to increase. Levels of ILI have continued to increase and remain above the seasonal baseline for the past 4 weeks in most regions of the United States. In Mexico, a high intensity of respiratory diseases has been reported for two consecutive weeks (week 37 - 38), with large increases in cases being reported in the north and northwest of the country. In Europe and Central and Western Asia, although overall influenza activity remains low an increase in transmission has been noted in a number of countries and continues to intensify in others. Rates of influenza-like-illness continue to be above baseline levels in Ireland, parts of the United Kingdom (Northern Ireland), Israel, and France; in addition, more than 10 other countries in the region have reported geographically localized spread of influenza. In Japan, influenza activity has continued to increase above the seasonal epidemic threshold since week 33. These increases in ILI activity have been accompanied by increases in laboratory isolations of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009 in most of these areas.

In the tropical regions of the Americas and Asia, influenza transmission remains active but the trends in respiratory diseases activity are mixed. Although respiratory disease activity is geographically regional to widespread throughout the tropical region of the Americas, many countries have been recently reporting a declining trend (Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Panama, Paraguay, Venezuela), while others recently reported an increasing trend (Columbia and Cuba). In tropical regions of Asia, there continues to be an increasing trend in respiratory diseases in parts of India and in Cambodia, while other countries in the Southeast Asia have been recently reporting declining transmission.

In the temperate regions of the southern hemisphere, influenza transmission has largely returned to baseline (Chile, Argentina, and New Zealand) or has declined substantially (Australia and South Africa).

All pandemic H1N1 2009 influenza viruses analyzed to date have been antigenically and genetically similar to A/California/7/2009-like pandemic H1N1 2009 virus. See below for a detailed laboratory surveillance update.[snip][Please review the information directly from the url (link)I provided. Thank you.]

As of 27 September 2009, worldwide there have been more than 340,000 laboratory confirmed cases of pandemic influenza H1N1 2009 and over 4100 deaths reported to WHO.

See, it's just media hype. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't call it media hype that 4,100 people have died from the "new" 2009 H1N1 flu! And that more people from 335,900 may also, along with people who may still get it.

I think it is important to read from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Infection:

Seasonal Influenza (Flu)
How effective is the seasonal flu vaccine?
How well the seasonal flu vaccine works depends on how well the match is between the seasonal influenza (flu) vaccine and the types of seasonal flu viruses that are circulating that year. Scientists try to predict what strains (types) of flu viruses are most likely to spread and cause illness each year to put into the vaccine. Past studies have shown in years when the vaccine viruses and circulating viruses are well-matched, the vaccine can reduce the chances of getting the flu by 70% to 90% in healthy adults. The vaccine may be somewhat less effective in elderly persons and very young children, but vaccination can still prevent serious complications from the flu.

In healthy adults younger than 65 years of age, the flu vaccine can also prevent lost work days, and keep you from having to see the doctor or using unnecessary antibiotics.

Is the seasonal flu vaccine effective against all types of flu and cold viruses?
The seasonal flu vaccine is your best protection against seasonal flu viruses. However, this year there is a new and very different flu virus spreading worldwide among people called 2009 H1N1 flu. The seasonal flu vaccine will not provide protection against 2009 H1N1 influenza. A 2009 H1N1 vaccine is currently in production. The 2009 H1N1 vaccine is not intended to replace the seasonal flu vaccine – it is intended to be used along-side seasonal flu vaccine.

The seasonal flu vaccine also does not provide protection against non-flu viruses that can cause colds and other respiratory illnesses. It can sometimes be hard to tell the difference between a cold and the flu based on symptoms alone.

The seasonal flu vaccine won't protect you from cold or flu viruses that are already in your body when you get a seasonal flu vaccine. The seasonal flu vaccine takes about two weeks to provide protection from the flu, and it's your best protection to prevent the most common types of flu this season.

Why do I need to get a seasonal flu vaccine every year?

Flu viruses change from year to year, which means two things. First, you can get the flu more than once during your lifetime. The immunity (natural protection that develops against a disease after a person has had that disease) that is built up from having the flu caused by one flu virus strain doesn't always provide protection against newer strains of the flu. Second, a seasonal flu vaccine made against flu viruses going around last year may not protect against the newer viruses. That is why the flu vaccine is updated to include current viruses every year.

Because of these reasons, a new seasonal flu vaccine is needed each year.

Does getting a seasonal flu vaccine early in the season mean that I will not be protected later in the season?
Flu vaccination provides protection against the influenza strains contained in the vaccine that will last for the whole season. Vaccination can begin as soon as vaccine is available. Studies do not show a benefit of receiving more than one dose of vaccine during a flu season, even among elderly persons with weakened immune systems.

Does the seasonal flu vaccine work the same for everyone?
The seasonal flu vaccine is the single best way to prevent seasonal flu, and vaccination is the main tool used to protect people from seasonal influenza. A number of studies have shown that the seasonal flu vaccine works, but how well the vaccine works can change from year to year and vary among different groups of people. The ability of the seasonal flu vaccine to protect a person depends on at least two things: 1) the age and health of the person getting the vaccine, and 2) the similarity or "match" between the virus strains in the vaccine and those being spread in the community.

Vaccine effectiveness is not 100%, and some people can still get the flu. For instance, some older people and people with certain chronic illnesses might develop less immunity than healthy young adults after vaccination. However, even for these high-risk individuals, the seasonal flu vaccine still can provide protection against getting severe complications from seasonal flu.

How effective is the seasonal flu vaccine in the elderly?
Among elderly persons not living in chronic-care facilities (such as nursing homes) and those persons with long-term (chronic) medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), the seasonal flu shot is 30%-70% effective in preventing hospitalization for pneumonia (a lung infection) and influenza. In past studies among elderly nursing home residents, the seasonal flu shot was most effective in preventing severe illness and complications that may follow flu (like pneumonia), and deaths related to the flu. In this population, the shot can be 50%-60% effective in preventing hospitalization or pneumonia, and 80% effective in preventing death from the flu.

Because persons aged 65 years and older are at high risk for serious complications from seasonal flu, it also is important that people who live with or care for those at high risk for serious complications get a seasonal flu vaccination.

How effective is the seasonal flu vaccine in children?
Because children younger than 5 years of age are at increased risk of severe flu illnesses, children 6-59 months and the household contacts and caregivers of children 0-59 months are recommended to get the seasonal flu vaccine every year. Children younger than 6 months of age are most at risk for having complications from seasonal flu. However, they are too young to get the seasonal flu vaccine. To protect these infants, it is very important that their household members and out-of-home caregivers be vaccinated against seasonal flu.

The seasonal flu vaccine can prevent 66% or more influenza infections in young children, with even higher estimates for older children, when the vaccine strains are well-matched to the flu viruses causing illness. Vaccinating close contacts of children can also help decrease children’s risk of getting the flu.

Besides vaccination, how can people protect themselves against seasonal flu?
Getting the seasonal flu vaccine each year is the best way to prevent seasonal flu. Antiviral drugs are an important second line of defense against the flu; these drugs must be prescribed by a doctor. In addition, good health habits, such as covering your cough and washing your hands, can help prevent the spread of flu and other respiratory illnesses.
[snip]
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaccineeffect.htm

Information about the "new" 2009 H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu) is located on this website, which gives updates:
http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/

The World Health Organization is awesome !:biggrin:

Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 - update 68
Weekly update (Virological surveillance data)
2 October 2009 -- The Global Influenza Surveillance Network (GISN) continues monitoring the global circulation of influenza viruses in particular those infecting or with the potential of infecting humans including seasonal influenza.

Since the beginning of the pandemic on 19 April 2009 to September 19th , a total of 80 countries reported to FluNet. The total number of specimens reported positive for influenza viruses by NIC laboratories was 123,740. Of these, 73,998 (59.8%) were pandemic H1N1, 6513 (5.3%) were seasonal A (H1), 18,182 (14.7%) were A (H3), 20,891 (16.9%) were A (Not subtyped) and 4156 (3.4%) were influenza B.

For this reporting week (13 September to 19 September 2009); a total of 21 countries reported to FluNet. The total number of specimens reported positive for influenza viruses by NIC laboratories was 8608. Of these, 5608 (65.1%) were pandemic H1N1, 186 (2.2%) were seasonal A (H1), 1002 (11.6%) were A (H3), 1702 (19.8%) were A (Not subtyped) and 110 (1.8%) were influenza B.

All pandemic H1N1 2009 influenza viruses analysed to date have been antigenically and genetically similar to A/California/7/2009-like pandemic H1N1 2009 virus.
http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/laboratory02_10_2009/en/index.html

P.S. Raised eyes Mattera means being sarcastic. I've gotten phone calls from too many people asking me to please ask people to take this topic seriously. Berkeman seems to like to speak on behalf of others though people calling me don't agree with him and would hope he might refrain in the future so the page doesn't rolloever to page 3 (After 16 messages on a page it turns over to the next page. This message of mine is 14th on page 2 (#30), thus allowing people to read what is on page 2, which is of utmost importance to the topic of disscussion FLU VACCINE. And Berkeman, I may disagree with you but by no means do I dislike you. :)

Last edited:
ViewsofMars said:
I wouldn't call it media hype that 4,100 people have died from the "new" 2009 H1N1 flu! And that more people from 335,900 may also, along with people who may still get it.

The raised eyes smiley in his post meant that he was being facetious. Like this :rolleyes: :smile:

The primary reason I don't get flu vaccines is that there is controversy in the issue of how good they are for you. Maybe skepticism and debunking is a better place for this. Maybe some of it is idiot misinformation, but I find the better path for me is to avoid unnecessary vaccinations.

There is a whole lot of information out there about how vaccines may disrupt, or suppress the immune system. There is some that links brain disorders and damage to vaccinations.

I have read that H1N1 vaccines will contain thiomersol, and squalene, both of which are controversial.

If you are concerned about thiomersol, or adding mercury to your system, you might wan't to try and get a single dose injectable, rather than from a multi dose vial.

"Bacteriostatics like thiomersal are not needed in more-expensive single-dose injectables.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiomersal#Toxicology

Correlation found between Squalene and Gulf War Syndrome

"In our small cohort, the substantial majority (95%) of overtly ill deployed GWS patients had antibodies to squalene. All (100%) GWS patients immunized for service in Desert Shield/Desert Storm who did not deploy, but had the same signs and symptoms as those who did deploy, had antibodies to squalene. In contrast, none (0%) of the deployed Persian Gulf veterans not showing signs and symptoms of GWS have antibodies to squalene."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10640454

And then there is this new bit of preliminary research.

"Preliminary research suggests the seasonal flu shot may put people at greater risk for getting swine flu, CBC News has learned."

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/23/flu-shots-h1n1-seasonal.html

I know that the CDC and WHO say vaccines are fine, but they aren't the entire spectrum of researchers and microbiologists. The articles they present are geared more towards dealing with the masses. It would be counter productive to the WHO to scare people even if there are legit concerns. Their role is to make and enforce policy.

I am just a skeptic, so before I start risking damage to my immune system and brain with potentially harmful vaccinations, I want to make sure my life is actually at sufficient risk.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_10_02/en/index.html

wow, i'd heard from a doc in TX that mexicans were being hit pretty hard, but the latino deaths are really out of proportion.

jreelawg said:
The primary reason I don't get flu vaccines is that there is controversy in the issue of how good they are for you.

There is no controversy.

I have read that H1N1 vaccines will contain thiomersol, and squalene, both of which are controversial.

If you are concerned about thiomersol, or adding mercury to your system, you might wan't to try and get a single dose injectable, rather than from a multi dose vial.

Neither of those substances are controversial in the scientific community.

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

At concentrations found in vaccines, thimerosal meets the requirements for a preservative as set forth by the United States Pharmacopeia; that is, it kills the specified challenge organisms and is able to prevent the growth of the challenge fungi (U.S. Pharmacopeia 2004). Thimerosal in concentrations of 0.001% (1 part in 100,000) to 0.01% (1 part in 10,000) has been shown to be effective in clearing a broad spectrum of pathogens. A vaccine containing 0.01% thimerosal as a preservative contains 50 micrograms of thimerosal per 0.5 mL dose or approximately 25 micrograms of mercury per 0.5 mL dose.

Prior to its introduction in the 1930's, data were available in several animal species and humans providing evidence for its safety and effectiveness as a preservative (Powell and Jamieson 1931). Since then, thimerosal has been the subject of several studies (see Bibliography) and has a long record of safe and effective use preventing bacterial and fungal contamination of vaccines, with no ill effects established other than minor local reactions at the site of injection.

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/topics/adjuvants/squalene/questions_and_answers/en/index.html

# wenty two million doses of Chiron's influenza vaccine (FLUAD) have been administered safely since 1997. This vaccine contains about 10mg of squalene per dose. No severe adverse events have been associated with the vaccine. Some mild local reactogenicity has been observed.
# Clinical studies on squalene-containing vaccines have been done in infants and neonates without evidence of safety concerns.

Over 22 million doses of squalene-containing flu vaccine have been administered. The absence of significant vaccine-related adverse events following this number of doses suggests that squalene in vaccines has no significant risk. This vaccine has been given primarily to older age groups.

Correlation found between Squalene and Gulf War Syndrome

There is also a correlation between squalene and not having gulf war syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19379786

Since the end of the 1991 Gulf War, there have been reports of unexplained, multisymptom illnesses afflicting veterans who consistently report more symptoms than do nondeployed veterans. One of the many possible exposures suspected of causing chronic multisymptom illnesses Gulf War veterans is squalene, thought to be present in anthrax vaccine. We examined the relationship between squalene antibodies and chronic symptoms reported by Navy construction workers (Seabees), n=579. 30.2% were deployers, 7.4% were defined as ill, and 43.5% were positive for squalene antibodies. 8b]We found no association between squalene antibody status and chronic multisymptom illness (p=0.465). [/b]The etiology of Gulf War syndrome remains unknown, but should not include squalene antibody status.

"Preliminary research suggests the seasonal flu shot may put people at greater risk for getting swine flu, CBC News has learned."

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/23/flu-shots-h1n1-seasonal.html

The article states that

Researchers know that, theoretically, when people are exposed to bacteria or a virus, it can stimulate the immune system to create antibodies that facilitate the entry of another strain of the virus or disease. Dengue fever is one example, Low said.

Thus it is a property of the immune system, not the vaccines.

I am just a skeptic, so before I start risking damage to my immune system and brain with potentially harmful vaccinations, I want to make sure my life is actually at sufficient risk.

There are no such risks as the conspiracy theorists are portraying them.

jreelawg said:
I know that the CDC and WHO say vaccines are fine, but they aren't the entire spectrum of researchers and microbiologists. The articles they present are geared more towards dealing with the masses. It would be counter productive to the WHO to scare people even if there are legit concerns. Their role is to make and enforce policy. I am just a skeptic, so before I start risking damage to my immune system and brain with potentially harmful vaccinations, I want to make sure my life is actually at sufficient risk.

First off, let’s look at who is “WHO[World Heath Organization]” - its people and offices:

More than 8000 people from more than 150 countries work for the Organization in 147 country offices, six regional offices and at the headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.

In addition to medical doctors, public health specialists, scientists and epidemiologists, WHO staff include people trained to manage administrative, financial, and information systems, as well as experts in the fields of health statistics, economics and emergency relief.
http://www.who.int/about/structure/en/index.html

Next, let’s understand what is CDS. Best for me to provide you with part of the Mission Statement for the CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) serves as the national focus for developing and applying disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion and health education activities designed to improve the health of the people of the United States. To accomplish its mission, CDC identifies and defines preventable health problems and maintains active surveillance of diseases through epidemiologic and laboratory investigations and data collection, analysis, and distribution; serves as the PHS lead agency in developing and implementing operational programs relating to environmental health problems, and conducts operational research aimed at developing and testing effective disease prevention, control, and health promotion programs; administers a national program to develop recommended occupational safety and health standards and to conduct research, training, and technical assistance to assure safe and healthful working conditions for every working person; develops and implements a program to sustain a strong national workforce in disease prevention and control; and conducts a national program for improving the performance of clinical laboratories.

CDC is responsible for controlling the introduction and spread of infectious diseases, and
provides consultation and assistance to other nations and international agencies to assist in improving their disease prevention and control, environmental health, and health promotion activities. CDC administers the Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant and specific preventive health categorical grant programs while providing program expertise and assistance in responding to Federal, State, local, and private organizations on matters related to disease prevention and control activities.
http://www.cdc.gov/maso/pdf/cdcmiss.pdf

Third off, where does the FDA come into this picture. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) list of Vaccines Licensed for Immunization and Distribution in the US with Supporting Documents. Here’s part of the list of vaccines.

•Influenza A (H1N1) 2009 Monovalent
CSL Limited; MedImmune LLC; Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics Limited; Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
•Influenza Virus Vaccine, H5N1 (for National Stockpile)
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc
•Influenza Virus Vaccine, Trivalent, Types A and B
CSL Limited (Afluria); ID Biomedical Corp of Quebec (FluLaval); GlaxoSmithKline Biologicals (Fluarix); Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Ltd (Fluvirin); Sanofi Pasteur, Inc (Fluzone); MedImmune, LLC (FluMist)
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093830.htm

More about FDA vaccines information can be located here: http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/default.htm

Last but not least, there is VAERS (Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System):

The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is a national vaccine safety surveillance program co-sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS is a post-marketing safety surveillance program, collecting information about adverse events (possible side effects) that occur after the administration of vaccines licensed for use in the United States.

VAERS provides a nationwide mechanism by which adverse events following immunization may be reported, analyzed, and made available to the public. VAERS also provides a vehicle for disseminating vaccine safety-related information to parents and guardians, health care providers, vaccine manufacturers, state vaccine programs, and other constituencies.

[And noted on the following link you will also find this statement: "CDC and FDA do not provide individual medical treatment, advice, or diagnosis. If you need individual medical or health care advice, consult a qualified health care provider."]

http://vaers.hhs.gov/index

I personally feel safe and confident knowing that people within WHO, CDS, FDA, and VAERS care about my health and others. :smile: