Improving Vehicle Safety with Traction Control: A Senior Design Project

In summary, dlgoff is interested in aviation and avionics. He also has a project he worked on in his senior design class that involved traction control for a car. He would like to hear more about aviation and control from those who are more experienced.
tenacity2986
Our group has come across a few iinteresting ideas. We would really like to do something with aviation and control, but it needs to be more on the EE side than the CSE side where there's a lot of programming that can be done... ANY IDEAS in general much appreciated...

FOR those of you who don't know SDP is a 2 semester project you do before graduating.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi tenacity2986,

You mentioned wanting to do something involving aviation. May I suggest looking into Avionics? I once worked as a test engineer for King Radio and really enjoyed writing test procedures for all the types of electronics they manufactured. Maybe you can get some ideas from this Wikipedia page on avionics. There are many links there that will point you to different categories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avionics"

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Hi tenacity2986,

You mentioned wanting to do something involving aviation. May I suggest looking into Avionics? I once worked as a test engineer for King Radio and really enjoyed writing test procedures for all the types of electronics they manufactured. Maybe you can get some ideas from this Wikipedia page on avionics. There are many links there that will point you to different categories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avionics"

Hey dlgoff, I am still in high school, but very interested in Avionics, specially radio COM and NAV. I love listening to ATC from my radio scanner and if I am near the airport I love hearing the VOR signal and imagine how cool it'd be to use the VOR with a Software Defined Radio as a cool experiment.

I'd love to hear the experience of someone who has worked directly in the field, if you could tell us a more detailed description of your job at King Radio, :smile: and I wonder, what are you doing today?

Thanks

Hi Kys91.

At King Radio Corp., I was responsible for testing avionics to insure quality. My duties required electronic and mechanical knowledge of the products (I would work with the designing engineer to learn the circuits and operation) in order to write specifications and procedures (which were used by the bench techs to align the radios etc). I also specified test equipment used in order to meet the engineering specs. Our products included Transponders, Nav. receivers, VOR/ILS indicators, Servos, and Communications equipment.

All of these products needed to be burned-in (powered in hot environment), put through vibration test, and altitude tested (we used vacuum chambers). If anything failed, the equipment would be repaired and put through all the test again. I've seen radios in the system for a year or so before they were given the okay. Quality was very important as one would expect; life depended on them working correctly.

Avionics is just one area of electronic applications. So if you can stay in school and get a good education in electronics, you will be set for that and lots of other interesting applications.

Thanks, I like you used to work with the design engineer, but it was something of everyday, or when a new product came?

I am impressed how much time it took to approve them, definitely they were build to really high standards.

I also curious if you used to be in the factory, a special test center, or design center. I think the first 2 ones probably.

The plant I worked in had areas for assembly, soldering, rework, etc. Areas for bench work and testing. Offices and shipping... All in one structure.

For my senior design project, we created a traction control system for a car. We tried to counter/control any slipping/skidding of a tyre to ensure to car doest skid. This may give you some interesting ideas.

Here's a short demo clip of our project:

1. What is a senior design project?

A senior design project is a culminating engineering or scientific project that is typically completed by students in their final year of undergraduate studies. It gives students the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills they have acquired throughout their education to solve real-world problems.

2. How do I come up with ideas for a senior design project?

There are several ways to come up with ideas for a senior design project. You can start by identifying a problem or need in your field of study or in your community. You can also consult with professors, industry professionals, and peers for inspiration. Another approach is to look at past senior design projects and identify areas that have not been explored yet.

3. What makes a good senior design project idea?

A good senior design project idea should be feasible, relevant, and impactful. It should address a real problem or need, and have the potential to make a positive impact on society. It should also align with your interests and utilize your knowledge and skills.

4. Can I work on a senior design project in a team?

Yes, most senior design projects are completed in teams. Working in a team allows you to combine your strengths and skills to tackle a larger and more complex project. It also simulates a real-world working environment where collaboration and teamwork are essential.

5. How long does it take to complete a senior design project?

The duration of a senior design project can vary depending on the specific requirements of your program. In general, it takes one academic year to complete, but some projects may span multiple semesters. It is important to plan and manage your time effectively to ensure the project is completed on schedule.