Use Schwarz inequality to prove triangle inequality

In summary, the conversation discusses using Schwarz inequality to prove that the length of the sum of two vectors does not exceed the sum of the length of two vectors. The conversation also includes the attempt at a solution, which involves multiplying out the left hand side and using Schwarz inequality to simplify the expression. The conversation ends with the person asking for clarification and thanking the person helping them.
Dafe

Homework Statement

Use Schwarz inequality on [tex]\bar{v} \bullet \bar{w}[/tex] to prove:

[tex]||\bar{v} + \bar{w}||^2 \leq (||\bar{v}|| + ||\bar{w}||)^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Schwarz inequality:
[tex]|\bar{v} \bullet \bar{w}| \leq ||\bar{v}|| ||\bar{w}||[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I understand Schwarz inequality is that the product of two unit vectors can not exceed one.
The problem asks me to use that fact to prove that the length of the sum of two vectors does not exceed the sum of the length of two vectors.

I am unable to see a connection, and would appreciate it if someone could push me in the right direction.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
start by multiplying out the left hand side then use schcwarz to get to right hand side

[tex] ||\bar{v} + \bar{w}||^2 = \bar{v} \bullet \bar{v} + 2\bar{v} \bullet \bar{w} + \bar{w} \bullet \bar{w} \leq ||\bar{v}||^2 + 2||\bar{v}|| ||\bar{w}|| + ||\bar{w}||^2 = (||\bar{v}|| + ||\bar{w}||)^2[/tex]

I think I see the Schwarz in there :)

Thank you lanedance.

which school and which grade?

1. What is the Schwarz inequality?

The Schwarz inequality, also known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, is a mathematical theorem that establishes a relationship between the dot product of two vectors and their magnitudes. It states that the absolute value of the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes.

2. How is the Schwarz inequality used to prove triangle inequality?

The Schwarz inequality can be used to prove the triangle inequality by considering two vectors that represent the sides of a triangle. The dot product of these two vectors is compared to the product of their magnitudes, and if the Schwarz inequality holds true, the triangle inequality can be proven.

3. Can the Schwarz inequality be used to prove all cases of the triangle inequality?

Yes, the Schwarz inequality can be used to prove all cases of the triangle inequality, including the equality case where the triangle is degenerate (i.e. has zero area). This is because the Schwarz inequality holds true for all vectors, including those that represent degenerate triangles.

4. Are there any other applications of the Schwarz inequality?

Yes, the Schwarz inequality has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of inner product spaces, Hilbert spaces, and Fourier analysis. It is also used in various optimization problems and is a fundamental tool in the study of inequalities.

5. Is the Schwarz inequality a generalization of other inequalities?

Yes, the Schwarz inequality is a generalization of several other well-known inequalities, including the Cauchy inequality and the Minkowski inequality. It is also a special case of the Hölder inequality, which in turn is a generalization of the Schwarz inequality.