What Can We Learn About the Zodiac Constellations on October 20th?

• Thread starter mabs239
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the 12 Zodiac constellations and the Earth's orbit. It is mentioned that a point on Earth does not scan through all 12 constellations in 24 hours and that the orbital plane of Earth determines the zodiac constellation for each month. It is also confirmed that the constellations can be observed with naked eyes. The conversation also mentions finding photos and videos of the constellations online and the possibility of viewing opposite constellations at night.
mabs239
It is 20th October.

1. Does a point on Earth scans through all the twelve Zodiac constellations in 24Hrs?
2. Why a zodiac constellation is attached to a certain month? For example, today, on 20th October, Sun is in which Zodiac constellation? Libra?
3. Can I observe this with naked eyes?
[STRIKE]4. How a child born in a certain month is attached to a certain zodiac?[/STRIKE]
5. Where could I see all the zodiac constellations on internet, photos/videos etc.? I googled but couldn't find anywhere.
6. Is the angle between each zodiac exactly 30 degrees?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

Apologies, MIH, will attempt more specific answers.
1. No
2. The orbital plane of Earth does the pointing.
3. Yes
4. Huh?
5. Equator
6 No.

I've restored this thread to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Please ensure the conversation remains grounded in Astronomy.

I have found one link. Looks like it is not possible to see the present zodiac constellation by naked eyes. At that time SUN will be in full brightness. Please correct me if I am wrong.

http://www.physics.hku.hk/~nature/CD/regular_e/lectures/images/chap03/zodiac.jpg

However 180 degree opposite constellations can be viewed at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the zodiac constellations?

The zodiac constellations are a group of 12 star patterns that are located along the ecliptic, the path that the sun appears to follow in the sky. These constellations are named after the signs of the zodiac and are important in astrology.

2. What are the 12 zodiac constellations?

The 12 zodiac constellations are Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces. Each constellation represents a different astrological sign and is associated with different characteristics and traits.

3. How were the zodiac constellations named?

The zodiac constellations were named by ancient civilizations, such as the Babylonians and Greeks, based on the patterns they saw in the sky. The names of the constellations are often related to the myths and stories associated with each sign.

4. Are the zodiac constellations the same as the astrological signs?

No, the zodiac constellations and astrological signs are not the same. The constellations are actual star patterns in the sky, while the astrological signs are based on the position of the sun at the time of a person's birth. However, the constellations and signs are often used interchangeably in astrology.

5. Can you see all 12 zodiac constellations in the night sky?

Yes, it is possible to see all 12 zodiac constellations in the night sky at different times of the year. However, some of the constellations may be more difficult to see due to their location in the sky and the brightness of surrounding stars. It is best to view the constellations during their respective months when they are at their highest point in the sky.