Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF)

• Thread starter splitringtail
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for a material that is resistant to iodine for an experiment. They usually use Teflon but it is not readily available, so they are considering using PVDF valves and fittings instead. There are mixed opinions on the level of resistance PVDF has to iodine, with some sources saying it is resistant up to 65C. The speaker is seeking suggestions on which material would be the best choice for their experiment.
splitringtail
I am working with Iodine in our lab and we typically use Teflon, but for an experiment we might need all the valves in such a material. Yet, a few places that I have found that carry such products are not on hand and would be available in weeks.

I would like something by Monday/Tuesday. However,some places that carry a lot of Teflon products have PVDF valves and fittings available. Cole Parmer and few other places say PVDF is resistant to Iodine, but I am not sure how much compared to Teflon.

Any suggestions?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

I would recommend thoroughly researching the chemical compatibility of PVDF with Iodine before using it in your experiment. While it may be available sooner than Teflon, it is important to ensure that it will not react with the Iodine and potentially affect your results. You can consult chemical compatibility charts and literature to determine the level of resistance of PVDF to Iodine compared to Teflon. Additionally, you may want to consider reaching out to other labs or colleagues to see if they have any PVDF valves and fittings that you could borrow or purchase from them. It is always best to err on the side of caution and use the appropriate materials for your experiment.

1. What is Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF)?

Polyvinylidene Fluoride (PVDF) is a synthetic polymer made from the monomer vinylidene fluoride. It is known for its high performance properties, such as chemical resistance, thermal stability, and resistance to UV radiation.

2. What are the common uses of PVDF?

PVDF is commonly used in various industries, including aerospace, electronics, and chemical processing. It is often used as a coating for wires and cables, as a binder for lithium-ion batteries, and as a component in medical devices and membranes for water purification.

3. How is PVDF different from other types of fluoropolymers?

PVDF is distinct from other fluoropolymers, such as polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP), due to its unique crystalline structure. This structure gives PVDF its high tensile strength and resistance to chemicals and UV radiation, making it a preferred choice for certain applications.

4. What are the benefits of using PVDF?

PVDF offers several benefits, including high mechanical strength, excellent chemical resistance, and low flammability. It is also resistant to UV radiation and can withstand high temperatures and harsh environments. Additionally, PVDF is non-toxic and has a long lifespan, making it a sustainable option for many industries.

5. Is PVDF safe for use in medical applications?

Yes, PVDF is considered safe for use in medical applications. It is biocompatible, meaning it does not elicit a negative response from living tissue, and is often used in medical devices and implants. However, as with all materials, proper handling and testing should be conducted to ensure its safety for a specific medical use.