Manifold: what's the meaning of this name?

• Thread starter Goldbeetle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, the word "manifold" has multiple meanings, depending on the context in which it is used. It can refer to a type of mathematical object with multiple dimensions, a system of pipes or channels, or a variety of different types or forms. The origin of the word comes from the Old English term "manigfeald," which means "many times folded." Overall, "manifold" can be described as a diverse and versatile term with a rich history.
Goldbeetle
Dear all,
I've always wondered where the name "manifold" comes from?
Any idea?
Thanks,
Goldbeetle

Physics news on Phys.org
FredericGos said:
Let me google it for you... ;)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/manifold

Thanks, maybe my question was not clear. The question is why was that word, "manifold", with those meanings (see your link) used to label this topological space

I think it come from the fact that one of the meanings is a 'thing with several possible shapes'. A bare manifold is essentially that, a thing you can add structure too or deform into several possible shapes. At least that's my understanding of this.

Riemann, who was the first to talk of manifolds, called them (in german!) something like "multiply extended quantities"... probably having in mind that they would be objects who could locally be parametrized by many coordinates... a natural generalization of surfaces.
If "manifold" is not as good a translation of the word Riemann used for them as "multiply extended quantities" is, at least it has the merit of being brief!

So the English usage in mathematics is as a translation of the German "Mannigfaltigkeit"

The first time I saw it I mistook it for "mainfold",haha

mannigfaltigkeit

Hi Goldbeetle! Hi g_edgar! :smile:
g_edgar said:
So the English usage in mathematics is as a translation of the German "Mannigfaltigkeit"

"mannigfaltig" seems to be the German for "diverse" "various" or "multifarious",

and "mannigfaltigkeit" for "diversity" "variety" or "manifoldness".

At http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Markus_Schmaus/Riemann" , Markus Schmaus says …
In (I) Riemann defines a "Mannigfaltigkeit" as consisting of the "Bestimmungsweisen" (ways of determination) of a "Größenbegriff" (concept of quantity), with "Bestimmungsweisen" being the points of a "stetige Mannigfaltigkeit" (continuous manifold). The "stetige Mannigfaltigkeit" is not described as being composed from smaller pieces, nor does he mention local flattness. In another, not translated, part he mentions colors and the locations of "Sinngegenstände" (objects of perception) as the only simple concepts giving rise to "stetige Mannigfaltigkeiten". At another point he calls the possible shapes of a spatial figure a "Mannigfaltigkeit".
… and illustrates this with German quotations (and his own English translations) from Riemann's http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/HistMath/People/Riemann/Geom/"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always assumed that "manifold" was associated with "many dimensions".

1. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that describes a space that is locally similar to Euclidean space, meaning that it looks flat when viewed up close, but may have a curved overall shape.

2. Why is it called a manifold?

The term "manifold" comes from the Latin word "manifolds", which means "many folds". This describes the idea that a manifold can have many different local shapes, but still have an overall coherent structure.

3. What are some examples of manifolds?

Some common examples of manifolds include spheres, tori, and cylinders. In general, any surface in three-dimensional space that can be smoothly deformed into a flat plane without tearing or stretching can be considered a manifold.

4. What is the significance of manifolds in science?

Manifolds are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They provide a useful way to describe and understand complex systems and spaces, and are particularly important in the study of curved spaces and the theory of relativity.

5. Can manifolds exist in higher dimensions?

Yes, manifolds can exist in any number of dimensions. In fact, manifolds are often used to describe spaces with more than three dimensions, such as in string theory or multidimensional calculus.