What is the relationship between stars, lithium, and exoplanets?

In summary, the disturbance of internal motions in a star by a planet can alter the distribution of chemical elements, potentially leading to the destruction of lithium. It is now up to theoreticians to determine which scenario is most likely. This information is relevant to exoplanet hunters, who use lithium abundance in stars as an indicator for potential exoplanets. While there was a previous belief that high lithium abundance indicated a higher chance of exoplanets, recent research has confirmed that a lack of lithium may actually suggest the presence of exoplanets.
Arch2008
“There are several ways in which a planet can disturb the internal motions of matter in its host star, thereby rearrange the distribution of the various chemical elements and possibly cause the destruction of lithium. It is now up to the theoreticians to figure out which one is the most likely to happen,”

http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/press-rel/pr-2009/pr-42-09.html

FYI, a lack of lithium in a star may indicate the presence of exoplanets. This could be a short cut for exoplanet hunters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
I don't know a great deal about exoplanets, but I know that exoplanet hunters do use the lithium line strength of stars to increase the odds of targetting stars that have planets. I thought it was the reverse though, i.e. high lithium abundance indicated higher chance of having planets, but I may be mistaken.

That doesn't seem to be what the ESO is saying.

I just did a quick literature search to sort this out. So, looks like there was a thought a few years ago that stars with planets might have more Li, for instance http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2001Natur.411..163I" paper. Everything I found since then (2002) agrees with the article you linked to. Looks like this latest work is an extensive reconfirmation of the view of most of the last decade.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are stars made of?

Stars are primarily made up of hydrogen and helium, with smaller amounts of other elements such as carbon, oxygen, and nitrogen. These elements are created through nuclear fusion reactions in the star's core.

2. Why is lithium important in studying stars?

Lithium is an important element to study in stars because it is easily destroyed at high temperatures. By measuring the amount of lithium present in a star, scientists can determine its age and evolution.

3. How do we detect exoplanets?

Exoplanets, or planets outside of our solar system, are detected through a variety of methods. These include the transit method, where a planet passing in front of its star causes a dip in the star's brightness, and the radial velocity method, where the gravitational pull of a planet causes its star to wobble slightly.

4. What is the significance of finding exoplanets with water?

Finding exoplanets with water is significant because water is essential for life as we know it. It also suggests that these planets may have the potential to support life.

5. How do we determine the habitable zone of a star?

The habitable zone of a star is determined by its distance from the star where liquid water could exist on a planet's surface. This is based on the star's temperature and the planet's atmospheric conditions. The habitable zone is also known as the "Goldilocks zone" as it is not too hot or too cold for life to exist.