Formula Car Cooling: Benefits of Ultra Side Pods & Radiator Setup

In summary: Keep the coolant as close to the design flow rate as possible, to maximize heat transfer efficiency.Minimize cavitation, by running the air flow as uniform as possible.Splitter considerations;If you decide to use one, it is a good idea to place it as close to the radiator as possible to minimize air turbulence.
thanks guys,,,,this forum is priceless regarding the experience and wealth of information and sage advice. i was thinking of air finned oil cooler if i can find in line model.
i think we will be safe with the water wetter and 18 psi cap...it never boiled at 240 deg F
you guys are great,,,thanks
rm

Engineering news on Phys.org
Air finned oil cooler would help. Check pressure drop at your required flow rate! And be careful with the uprated pressure cap; the coolant WILL be at a higher pressure as a result.

Hey, RM, haunt the Harley-Davidson aftermarket dealers. They will carry compact air-finned oil coolers. You can hide them in your fairing behind the radiators, since even the warm air coming off the radiators is WAY cooler than the oil, and you'll cool the oil enough to take some load off the water coolant circuit. Remember that you'll want to send the oil through the oil filter first so you won't bottle-neck that filter flow with high-viscosity oil.

For the boiling point of water vs. temperature, you can generate a chart from the NIST website.

Link to the thermophysical properties page: http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/

Link to a pre-made chart of what you're after, water boiling point w.r.t temp: http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/fluid.c...nit=mph&VisUnit=uPa*s&STUnit=N/m&RefState=DEF

I attached a screenshot of the chart in case the link doesn't work. Keep in mind the pressure is absolute pressure, so you'll need to subtract 14.7 psi (1atm) to get the gauge pressure rating of a theoretical radiator cap. To put it another way, an 18psi radiator cap plus 14.7psi (atmospheric at sea level) equals 32.7psi absolute.

For a 15psi cap + 14.7psi atmospheric (29.7 absolute): Boiling point is 249.8 fahrenheit
For a 18psi cap + 14.7psi atmospheric (32.7 absolute): Boiling point is 255.4 fahrenheit

EDIT- keep in mind some antifreeze mixtures also modify the boiling point of water. The numbers above are for pure water only.

Attachments

• Water Boiling Point vs. Pressure.jpg
    Water Boiling Point vs. Pressure.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 433
Last edited:
BTW, RM, you can get screw-in converters for Harleys (maybe Jagg) that are threaded the same as the oil filter, and have a female thread for your standard oil filter to thread into. The converter features a nipple to allow you to route the oil after it goes through the filter to your oil coolers, and another nipple to route the cooled oil back to the engine. If you have enough outboard clearance at the filter location to allow this, it's a really slick conversion. The converter is a couple of inches thick and IIR, it costs only about $90. If you're lucky, they have a similar converter for your oil-cooler application.

Thanks Mech Engineer...i think if it gets to 255 weare cooked anyway...but i go some margin to play with..

thanks turbo...i sure will check it out...good idea
rm

Ranger Mike,
Looks like we have a $180 M track (+ over run expenses of course) coming to Austin Tx. If all goes according to plan it will complete in 2012. Will you run in a class that brings you to this track ?
I know very little about this class of racing and a quick glance at the rules of formula 1 racing makes it clear the power-train is held to very tight standards. How much room in methods of cooling is there for making changes ?

If you can get wild and crazy, I might can throw something out to you that let's the side coolers be removed completely and a method of heat removal that can be variable based on a number of different things. I think water can be replaced with some kind of refrigerant which might produce a much better thermal transfer delta and a fan design that will allow all other heat exchangers to be removed.

If rules are not too restrictive and you care to look deeper into what I'm thinking, send a PM to me. I got the impression from one post, that you might have a shop and resources to carry out the research and development should the design and numbers look right.

Who knows ?

RonL

SCCA is sanctioning organization that we race in. about 250000 members in USA...is probably the largest part time race club in world with road course tracks all over the country. we race MID OHIO and many others in Indiana, Michigan..Kentucky is supposed to have blue grass race way but its not opened yet..my driver has won at them all .. Watkins Glen, Road America, Virginia International Raceway..and many many Mid Ohio checkers...love to trailer to Texas but will see how economy is...ref: cooling idea..heck yes..always looking for new wrinkle ..send me message and we can look over..thanks Ron L

think i got the cooling problem fixed. plumbed radiators in series..used water wetter and distilled water. we ran it two days in 75 degree beautiful weather..it got to 95 degrees C and no hotter. i did go with red line synthetic oil which is super trick and costs $ 10 per quart...last resort was to add an oil cooler but this would add weight and there just is not a lot of room under the fiberglass body for it. we won one race, got second in last race...some new young kid ran 4 seconds quicker than us and the kid never been on the track before...hummmm, and my driver been track champion last 6 years? makes you wonder...right?

hello everyone,
Im a student participating in Formula SAE event, i want a little help on Radiator connection on my teams, we are using 1.0L S-TEC II I4 petrol engine of Chevy Beat,as it consists of 1 radiator we want two radiator concept having on sidepods,how to make connections as I have seen radiators without caps on this forum and I am also facing problem on height issue as in passenger cars radiator is placed slightly above or parallel to engine height as in our prototype model we used two stock radiators on side pods with parallel connection but after filling radiators water was not reaching to engine and engine started becoming hot..

basically i want to know how customization of radiators are done & how connection is made properly using 2 radiators,,pls reply

welcome ..in my opinion , for the guy starting out, plumb the dual rad system in series to avoid air pockets. I think if you are NOT running an electric water pump. you should have bleeders at each radiator as a minimum. These can be simple petcock fittings. You need a radiator cap at the max height of the system and attached to the water expansion tank ( burp can). Finally you need an over flow can as well.

it means that i will have to use 2 radiators with perfect calculation having lateral flow,Without radiator cap arrangement on it, with only water inlet and outlet present and should be connected in series connection, And place the water expansion tank having radiator cap at max height,..

and what is bleeders at each radiator and the expansion tank is a can with radiator cap arrangement on it and hollow frm inside with one inlet & one outlet for water on it?? -explain...

First, why are you planning to run 2 radiators over running 1?
It's implied that you are going to use 2 of the current radiators.

Have you worked out how much cooling you will need?
You've got to be careful not to overcool, as an engine that doesn't get up to temperature isn't going to run as well as one that does.

xxChrisxx said:
First, why are you planning to run 2 radiators over running 1?
It's implied that you are going to use 2 of the current radiators.

Have you worked out how much cooling you will need?
You've got to be careful not to overcool, as an engine that doesn't get up to temperature isn't going to run as well as one that does.

Each and every calculation is done, and how much water is required,And even the optimum size of radiators has also been calculated,,we are using 2 radiators on both sidepods to balance the weight on either side..

only connection arrangement parts are left to be done.

If you run radiators in parallel, care must be taken to ensure one isn't flowing 90% of the fluid while the other does almost nothing.

Ranger Mike said:
welcome ..in my opinion , for the guy starting out, plumb the dual rad system in series to avoid air pockets. I think if you are NOT running an electric water pump. you should have bleeders at each radiator as a minimum. These can be simple petcock fittings. You need a radiator cap at the max height of the system and attached to the water expansion tank ( burp can). Finally you need an over flow can as well.

it means that i will have to use 2 radiators with perfect calculation having lateral flow,Without radiator cap arrangement on it, with only water inlet and outlet present and should be connected in series connection, And place the water expansion tank having radiator cap at max height,..

and what is bleeders at each radiator and the expansion tank is a can with radiator cap arrangement on it and hollow frm inside with one inlet & one outlet for water on it?? -explain...

expansion tank has inlet and outlet and radiator cap
note the overflow tube under the radiator cap mount
.also temperature sensor mount should be provided

petcock permits bleeding air from radiator and lines

Attachments

• ex tank.JPG
    ex tank.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 462
  • petcock.jpg
    petcock.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 390
<h2>1. What is the purpose of using ultra side pods in a formula car?</h2><p>The main purpose of using ultra side pods in a formula car is to improve the overall aerodynamics of the car. These pods are designed to reduce drag and create a smooth airflow around the car, which can ultimately improve the car's speed and performance.</p><h2>2. How do ultra side pods affect the cooling system of a formula car?</h2><p>Ultra side pods can have a significant impact on the cooling system of a formula car. These pods are specifically designed to channel air towards the radiators, which helps to keep the engine and other components cool. This can prevent overheating and improve the overall reliability of the car.</p><h2>3. What are the benefits of using an ultra side pod and radiator setup in a formula car?</h2><p>There are several benefits to using an ultra side pod and radiator setup in a formula car. These include improved aerodynamics, better cooling efficiency, and increased performance. The setup can also help to reduce the weight of the car, which can be crucial in a racing environment.</p><h2>4. Are there any drawbacks to using ultra side pods and a radiator setup in a formula car?</h2><p>While there are many benefits to using ultra side pods and a radiator setup, there are also some potential drawbacks. These include added complexity and cost to the car's design and setup. Additionally, the pods and radiators may need to be replaced or repaired more frequently due to their exposure to debris and potential damage during races.</p><h2>5. How do you determine the best radiator setup for a formula car?</h2><p>The best radiator setup for a formula car will depend on various factors, including the car's design, engine type, and track conditions. It is crucial to consider the cooling requirements of the car and how the ultra side pods and radiators will work together to achieve optimal performance. Extensive testing and analysis are typically done to determine the most efficient and effective radiator setup for a specific formula car.</p>

1. What is the purpose of using ultra side pods in a formula car?

The main purpose of using ultra side pods in a formula car is to improve the overall aerodynamics of the car. These pods are designed to reduce drag and create a smooth airflow around the car, which can ultimately improve the car's speed and performance.

2. How do ultra side pods affect the cooling system of a formula car?

Ultra side pods can have a significant impact on the cooling system of a formula car. These pods are specifically designed to channel air towards the radiators, which helps to keep the engine and other components cool. This can prevent overheating and improve the overall reliability of the car.

3. What are the benefits of using an ultra side pod and radiator setup in a formula car?

There are several benefits to using an ultra side pod and radiator setup in a formula car. These include improved aerodynamics, better cooling efficiency, and increased performance. The setup can also help to reduce the weight of the car, which can be crucial in a racing environment.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using ultra side pods and a radiator setup in a formula car?

While there are many benefits to using ultra side pods and a radiator setup, there are also some potential drawbacks. These include added complexity and cost to the car's design and setup. Additionally, the pods and radiators may need to be replaced or repaired more frequently due to their exposure to debris and potential damage during races.

5. How do you determine the best radiator setup for a formula car?

The best radiator setup for a formula car will depend on various factors, including the car's design, engine type, and track conditions. It is crucial to consider the cooling requirements of the car and how the ultra side pods and radiators will work together to achieve optimal performance. Extensive testing and analysis are typically done to determine the most efficient and effective radiator setup for a specific formula car.