Indefinite integral and anti-derivative

In summary, the problem is to find the indefinite integral of 16x^2+36+1/(16x^2+36) with respect to x. The student is having trouble with the fraction term and has tried various methods to solve it, including factoring and trigonometric substitution. However, the fraction cannot be broken apart and the solution may involve using a trigonometric substitution.
hover

Homework Statement

Find the indefinite integral of 16x^2+36+1/(16x^2+36) with respect to x

Homework Equations

Anything possible to take an anti-derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

I have absolutely no idea on how to deal with this problem. I can take an anti-derivative of the first 2 terms just fine but that fraction term just messes with me. I don't know how to take it on. It kind of looks like 1/(1+x^2) which would have an anti-derivative of arctan(x) but I really don't know how to handle this.

Thanks for the help:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
If it looks like 1/(1+x^2), then maybe you should make it look more like such by factoring things out, and do a trig substitution.

Also, have you tried using partial fractions?

I've tried a bunch of ways to try to solve this. Of my whole homework set, this is the only one I can't get. I just don't see how to break apart that fraction.

You can't break apart that fraction. You need to make it look like 1/(a^2 + u^2), which has an antiderivative of arctan(u/a) + C.

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is an operation that calculates the anti-derivative of a function. It is represented by the symbol ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function and dx represents the variable of integration.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

3. What is an anti-derivative?

An anti-derivative is the reverse of a derivative. It is a function whose derivative is equal to the original function. In other words, it is the "opposite" of a derivative.

4. How do you find the anti-derivative of a function?

To find the anti-derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. You can also use the table of common integrals or integration by parts.

5. What is the relationship between derivatives and indefinite integrals?

The derivative and indefinite integral are inverse operations of each other. This means that the derivative of an indefinite integral is equal to the original function, and the indefinite integral of a derivative is equal to the original function plus a constant.