Rates of Reaction: Info, Websites & Factors

• Thread starter almohandes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses various factors that affect change in equilibrium, such as adding heat, increasing concentration, and increasing pressure. The concept of collision theory is also mentioned, which explains how adding heat or increasing concentration can increase the rate of a reaction. Rate laws and the Arrhenius equation are also brought up as ways to calculate the rate constant for a reaction. Finally, the conversation ends with a mention of how changes in temperature can affect equilibrium. Online resources for chemistry help are also provided.
almohandes
we have just started this topic and i don't believe that i undestand it very well.

anyone has any usefull info for me that i should know.
who knows of a good website for all this?
and what are some factors that affect change in equillibrium? what, how, why?

thanx for the help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Adding heat, increasing the concentration, or increasing the pressure (for gases) would increase the rate of a reaction. Collision theory basically says the the more that molecules run into each other the more the reaction proceeds. So adding heat for most reactions will make the rxn go faster because heat gives molecules more kinetic energy. Increasing the concentration obviously gives a greater chance that molecules will run into each because there are more available. Pressure pushes gas molecules closer together so they have a better chance of running into each other.

As for the rate laws, it depends on what kind of reaction that you have. There are 2 different ways you will see a rate, in the differential and integrated form. They mean the same thing though. For example
consider the reaction
aA-------->bB (a and b are the coefficients)

The velocity of the reaction can be described most easily in the diffential form. v=-(1/a)dA/dt=(1/b)dB/dt (A means concentration of A,B means concentration of B, t is time). You have the negative sign for A because the starting material is going away, and there is no negative sign for the product B because it is being formed. If the reaction exhibits a 0 order then the velocity of the reaction is v=-dA/dt=k where k is the rate constant By multiplying both sides by dt you have -dA=kdt. Then by using a little bit of calculus you can show that A=Ao-kt (Ao is the initial concentration). For a first order reaction you do the same thing except v=-dA/dt=kA. By the same procedure you can show that the integrated form is A=Aoe^-kt. Same thing goes for a second order reaction, v=-dA/dt=kA^2. The integrated form for this type of reaction A=Ao/1+ktAo. The order of a reaction can only be found experimentally, your teacher must tell you the order or give you data so you can figure out the order of the reaction. For other reactions such as
A+B--->C or for an equilibrium reaction the rate laws are different. Your book should provide you with them. One other point to note is like I said before, reaction rates depend on temperature. The rate constant k is dependent on temperature. The Arrhenius equation is used to calculate the rate constant if temperature is given. k=Ae^(-Ea/RT). A is the frequency or pre-exponential factor (i.e. its just a constant),Ea is the activation energy, R the gas constant, T the temperature in K.

If you are referring to the equilibrium constant, increasing the temperature is the only means to change it since it means changes the each of the rate constants (forward and backward) in disproportionate degrees.

-------
Online help with chemistry
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks alot

Sometimes the rate constants are given at two different temperatures (or their ratio at two different temperatures is given) and you are asked to find the activation energy, using the Arrhenius Equation (this eliminates the need to know the pre-exponential factor A).

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is a rate of reaction?

A rate of reaction is a measure of how quickly a chemical reaction occurs. It is usually expressed as the amount of reactant used up or product formed per unit of time.

2. How can I find information about rates of reaction?

There are many reliable websites that provide information about rates of reaction. Some examples include Khan Academy, Chemguide, and Chem4Kids. Additionally, scientific journals and textbooks also contain valuable information about rates of reaction.

3. What factors can affect the rate of a reaction?

The rate of a reaction can be affected by several factors, including temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, presence of a catalyst, and pressure (in the case of gas reactions). These factors can either increase or decrease the rate of a reaction.

4. How can I calculate the rate of a reaction?

The rate of a reaction can be calculated by measuring the change in concentration of a reactant or product over time. This can be done by conducting a series of experiments and plotting the data on a graph to determine the rate at a specific time.

5. Why is understanding rates of reaction important?

Understanding rates of reaction is important in various fields, including chemistry, biology, and environmental science. It allows us to predict and control the speed of chemical reactions, which is crucial in industries such as pharmaceuticals and food production. Additionally, studying rates of reaction helps us understand the behavior of substances in our daily lives, such as the rate at which food spoils or the speed at which medications work in our bodies.