What is the issue with file organization in Vista and how can it be resolved?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of organizing music files by duration in a software program. The option to sort by duration is not functioning properly and there is confusion between the "duration" and "length" attributes. The conversation ends with the conclusion that "duration" is an undocumented attribute and "length" should be used instead.
leroyjenkens
This thing is a mess. XP file organization was fine, but since when something works fine, people like to fix it (make it not work anymore), they made something simple into another reason to pull your hair out. I'm trying to put my music files in descending order for duration. I had to add a duration tab, because there wasn't one there before. But now that I added it, clicking on it does nothing. I can click on the name tab and it will organize in alphabetical order. When I click on duration, it changes it into a random mess. Does duration mean "random" and not the length of the song like I thought? If I click on duration again, it doesn't flip it around and put it in ascending order, like it does by clicking on the name tab. Instead, it just stays in the same random order.
Sort by duration does this, so does stack by duration. They're the exact same thing as far as I can tell. Let me try group by duration. Oh, it does the same thing as the other two.
I try to view details to show me how long each song is under the duration tab, but it shows nothing under the duration tab.
I've gotten one of these options to show me the length of the songs before, although it was pretty poor. Most were in descending order for duration, but there were some chunks at the bottom and top that were not included in the main order. But each time I've gotten it to do that, I had to struggle with this thing, trying various options until I finally got it to work. This time it's just not showing up.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You're looking for "Length", not "Duration". Pretty confusing.

slider142 said:
You're looking for "Length", not "Duration". Pretty confusing.

Thanks. Got it pretty quickly doing it by length. Funny thing is I've never done it by length, every time I've gotten it to show the numbers, it's been with duration. So duration is just the stubborn version of length?

leroyjenkens said:
Thanks. Got it pretty quickly doing it by length. Funny thing is I've never done it by length, every time I've gotten it to show the numbers, it's been with duration. So duration is just the stubborn version of length?

Duration is an undocumented attribute; in no official documentation can I find what it is supposed to refer to. It is possibly meant to be populated only at the discretion of the end user or file creator, such as the 'author' attribute.

I can understand your frustration with the file organization in Vista. It seems that the addition of the duration tab has caused some confusion and difficulty in organizing your music files. It is possible that the duration tab is not functioning properly or that there is a glitch in the system. I would recommend reaching out to the technical support team for Vista to address this issue and see if there is a solution to the problem. It is important for file organization to be efficient and user-friendly, so it is understandable that you are frustrated with the changes in Vista compared to XP. I would suggest documenting your experience and any troubleshooting steps you have taken in order to provide feedback to the developers and help improve the file organization system in the future. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

What is "Vista file organization"?

Vista file organization refers to the way that files and folders are arranged and stored on a computer running the Windows Vista operating system.

How does Vista organize files and folders?

Vista uses a hierarchical system of folders and subfolders to organize files. Users can create new folders and move files into them for better organization.

What is the purpose of file organization in Vista?

The purpose of file organization in Vista is to make it easier for users to find and manage their files. By organizing files into logical categories, users can quickly locate the files they need and keep their computer more organized.

Can I customize the file organization in Vista?

Yes, users can create new folders, rename existing folders, and move files around to suit their own organization preferences. Additionally, users can use features like tags and metadata to further categorize and organize their files.

What happens if I delete or move a file in Vista?

If you delete a file in Vista, it will be moved to the Recycle Bin where it can be restored if needed. If you move a file to a different location, it will be removed from its original location and placed in the new location you specify.