Surface Area of y = e^5x revolved around the x-axis from 0 to ln(4)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the integral of a function involving the square root of 1 plus the derivative of y with respect to x squared. The solution involves several steps, including substitutions and integration by parts. The final answer is found to be 0.0048. There is also a mention of using hyperbolic functions, which may make the integration process easier.
Oblakastouf

Homework Statement

http://i47.tinypic.com/1z6naa.jpg

Note... I used wolfram alpha to get the answer, I did not get it myself... So I still need help. The answer shown is correct, so you'll know if you got it.

Homework Equations

Integral [0, ln(4)] sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

2pi Integral [0, ln(4)] y*sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2)

2pi Integral [0, ln(4)] (e^5x)*sqrt(1+5e^5x^2)dx

u = 5e^5x
du = 25e^5x dx
dx = du/25e^5x

2pi Integral [0, ln(4)] (e^5x)*sqrt(1+u^2)du/25e^5x

2pi Integral [0, ln(4)] sqrt(1+u^2)du

u = tan(t)

2pi/25 Integral [0, ln(4)] sqrt(1+tan^2(t))du

2pi/25 Integral [0, ln(4)] sqrt(sec^2(t))du

2pi/25 Integral [0, ln(4)] sec(t)du

du = sec^2(t)dt
dt = du*cos^2(t)

2pi/25 Integral [0, ln(4)] cos^2(t)/cos(t)dt

2pi/25 Integral [0, ln(4)] cos(t)dt

Edit bounds...

[arctan(5), arctan(5e^(5*ln(4)))]

Then get ****ed over with an answer of .0048...

What did I do wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
If du=sec^2(t)*dt, then sec(t)*du is sec^3(t)*dt.

Right... My mistake, but I'm also having trouble with integration, and that isn't my strong suit, how would I integrate that?

It's kind of a long haul. You start by integrating by parts u=sec(t), dv=sec(t)^2*dt. It probably goes a little easier if you go back to the integral of sqrt(1+x^2)*dx and substitute x=sinh(u), if you are ok with hyperbolic functions.

Dick said:
It's kind of a long haul. You start by integrating by parts u=sec(t), dv=sec(t)^2*dt. It probably goes a little easier if you go back to the integral of sqrt(1+x^2)*dx and substitute x=sinh(u), if you are ok with hyperbolic functions.

I am, but I'm in a class that doesn't use them yet lol.

What is the formula for finding the surface area of a function revolved around the x-axis?

The formula for finding the surface area of a function revolved around the x-axis is: S = 2π∫[a,b] f(x)√(1 + [f'(x)]^2) dx, where a and b are the limits of integration and f(x) is the function.

How do I find the limits of integration for a function revolved around the x-axis?

The limits of integration for a function revolved around the x-axis can be found by setting the function equal to 0 and solving for x. This will give you the values of a and b.

What is the difference between surface area and volume when dealing with functions revolved around the x-axis?

The surface area refers to the measure of the outside of the function, while the volume refers to the measure of the space inside the function.

What is the significance of the number e in the function y = e^5x?

The number e is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 2.71828. It is a significant number in many mathematical functions and is often used to model natural phenomena such as population growth or radioactive decay.

How can I use the surface area formula to find the surface area of a function revolved around the x-axis?

To use the surface area formula, you first need to find the limits of integration and then evaluate the integral using calculus techniques. You can also use software or a graphing calculator to find the surface area of a function revolved around the x-axis.