Intensity of light with given power through a polarizer

In summary, Malus's Law states that the intensity of light transmitted through a polarizing filter is the product of the incident intensity and the square of the cosine of the angle theta with respect to the filter's axis. The correct equation to use is I = (0.5c*ep0*E^2)/A, where A is the area and E is the electric field. The incident intensity can be calculated using the power of the laser beam and the area is the same before and after the polarizer. In this case, since the laser beam is horizontally polarized, a theta value of 65 degrees should be used in the equation.
Linus Pauling
1. A 200 mW horizontally polarized laser beam passes through a polarizing filter whose axis is 25 degrees from vertical.

2. Malus's Law

3. Ok, so I will use theta = 65 degrees in the I = I0cos(theta) equation, right? But how do I calculate I0 knowing only power and not area?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the intensity of light defined? And what does Malus's Law say? The equation you use is wrong.

ehild

I = P/A = 0.5c*ep0*E2

And Malus's law states that the intensity of the light transmitted is the product of the intensity of the incident light and the square of the cosine of the angle theta with respect to the polarizer's axis. I don't get what you're getting at...

In terms of the theta I use, this is how I am thinking about it: I would use 25 degrees if the incident light was vertically polarized. Since it is horizontally polarized, i.e. is at 90 degrees, I should use 90-25 = 65 degrees...

It is all right if you use the square of the cosine, but you wrote I=Io*cos(theta) in the previous post.
As for intensity, it is power/area. The incident power of the laser beam is given and the area is the same before and after crossing the polarizer. You did not write what is the question, but presumably it is the power of the laser beam after the polarizer.

ehild

What is the relationship between intensity of light and power through a polarizer?

The intensity of light passing through a polarizer is directly proportional to the power of the light. This means that as the power of the light increases, the intensity of light passing through the polarizer also increases.

How does a polarizer affect the intensity of light?

A polarizer reduces the intensity of light passing through it by blocking certain light waves that are not aligned with its polarization axis. This results in a decrease in the overall intensity of light passing through the polarizer.

Can the intensity of light be increased by using multiple polarizers?

Yes, the intensity of light can be increased by using multiple polarizers. By aligning the polarization axes of the polarizers, the intensity of light passing through them can be amplified. However, this can only be done up to a certain point, as some light will still be blocked by the polarizers.

How does the angle of the polarizer affect the intensity of light?

The angle of the polarizer can have a significant impact on the intensity of light passing through it. When the polarization axis of the polarizer is aligned with the direction of the light, the intensity will be at its maximum. However, as the angle deviates from this alignment, the intensity of light decreases.

Does the color of light affect the intensity when passing through a polarizer?

Yes, the color of light can affect the intensity when passing through a polarizer. This is because different colors have different wavelengths, and these wavelengths may not align with the polarization axis of the polarizer. As a result, certain colors may be blocked more than others, leading to a decrease in intensity.