Can a Symmetric Tensor on a Manifold of Signature -+++ be Written in p-forms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of electric charge continuity, the use of p-forms and symmetric tensors on manifolds with different metric signatures, and the possibility of expressing Einstein's stress energy tensor as a form or a tensor-valued form. It is concluded that symmetric tensors cannot be expressed as forms, but tensor-valued forms can be used to extend the concept of forms. The conversation also touches on the topic of Lie-algebra-valued forms and their role in representing connections and curvature forms.
Phrak
Electric charge continuity is expressed as ∂tρ + ∂iJi =0. (1)

The manifold, M in question is 3 dimensional and t is a parameter, time.
iJi is the inner product of the ∂ operator and J.

With M a subspace of a 4 dimensional manifold with metric signature -+++, eq. (1) can be written in forms as d*J=0, where Jμ = (J, -ρ). So electric current and charge are unified as a single vector quantity.

In other parts of physics we run into symmetric tenors. Can a symmetric tensor on a manifold of signature -+++ be written in p-forms? Or perhaps as part of a higher dimensional p-form? I'm looking for ideas...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Phrak,

A p-form is by definition an antisymmetric tensor. Also, what's the relevance of the signature of the metric here?

Last edited:
Hello dx,

I'm interested in knowing how Einstein's stress energy tensor can be expressed in forms.

As the gradient of current density does not appear to be expressible in forms, but with the inclusion of a \partial t of \rho can be recaste as a skew symmetric tensor with lower indices, so might the stress energy tensor be expressed.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
Hello dx,

I'm interested in knowing how Einstein's stress energy tensor can be expressed in forms.

As the gradient of current density does not appear to be expressible in forms, but with the inclusion of a \partial t of \rho can be recaste as a skew symmetric tensor with lower indices, so might the stress energy tensor be expressed.

How about multiplying it by the metric tensor?

Thanks, waht.

Say you have a tensor in T with metric g.

As you say, [tex]T_{\mu\nu} = g^{\mu} _{\sigma}g^{\nu} _{\rho}T^{\sigma\rho}[/tex]

However, if Tuv is antisymmetric it must also have the property that [tex]T_{\mu\nu} = -T_{\nu\mu}[/tex]

You spin the matrix 180 degrees around its diagonal, then also also change the sign of all the elements.

Symmetric tensors cannot be expressed as forms, no. Unfortunately, as beautiful as forms are, they are not general enough to capture all possible kinds of linear objects. One must include tensors.

However, what you CAN do is define tensor-valued forms. If you think back to freshman electromagnetism, finding the electric field at some point by integrating along some semicircular wire or something; what you were doing was integrating a vector-valued form. So, you can simply extend that idea and get tensor-valued forms: a tensor-valued p-form is something that yields a tensor when integrated over a p-dimensional surface.

You can also have Lie-algebra-valued forms, which you can think of as matrix-valued forms. The connection form and curvature form are examples of this; they take values in the structure algebra of the manifold--for a real, Riemannian n-manifold, this is so(n).

Thanks for your comments, Ben. I was lead into this by the equation JuKv = *(J/\*K), in which the direct product does not appear to be constructed of antisymmetric operations, yet could be.

Can you supply any direction in which I could prove to myself that symmetric tensors cannot be expressed as forms?

Phrak said:
Thanks for your comments, Ben. I was lead into this by the equation JuKv = *(J/\*K), in which the direct product does not appear to be constructed of antisymmetric operations, yet could be.

Where did you get that equation? It's nonsense; the free indices are not balanced.

Can you supply any direction in which I could prove to myself that symmetric tensors cannot be expressed as forms?

It's simple: because forms are always antisymmetric tensors (and the symmetry properties of any tensor are always preserved under changes in coordinates).

That makes sense.

Ben Niehoff said:
Where did you get that equation? It's nonsense; the free indices are not balanced.

Sorry. I can only plead exhaustion. JμKμ = N*(Jμ/\*Kμ), in N dimenions.

1. What are symmetric tensors and p-forms?

Symmetric tensors and p-forms are mathematical objects used in differential geometry and tensor calculus. They are defined as multi-dimensional arrays of numbers that have certain symmetries under index permutations.

2. What is the difference between symmetric tensors and p-forms?

Symmetric tensors are objects that transform in a predictable way under coordinate transformations, while p-forms are objects that transform linearly under coordinate changes. Additionally, p-forms are defined on tangent spaces, while symmetric tensors are defined on manifolds.

3. How are symmetric tensors and p-forms used in physics?

In physics, symmetric tensors and p-forms are used to describe physical quantities such as stress, energy, and momentum. They are also used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime.

4. Can symmetric tensors and p-forms be added or multiplied together?

No, symmetric tensors and p-forms cannot be added or multiplied together as they are two different mathematical objects. However, they can be used together in certain operations, such as the exterior product, to form new objects.

5. What are some real-world applications of symmetric tensors and p-forms?

Symmetric tensors and p-forms have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, they are used in fluid dynamics to model the flow of fluids, in computer graphics to represent geometric objects, and in machine learning to analyze data and make predictions.