Proving Analytic Functions are Constant: Liouville's Theorem

In summary, Liouville's Theorem states that if a function f is both bounded and analytic in the complex plane, then it must be constant. This theorem can be applied to the problem at hand, where the given conditions imply that f(z) is constant. However, it does not directly tell us how f(0) and f(1/2) are related.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Q. (a) State Liouville's Theorem

(b) Suppose that f is analytic in C and satisfies f(z + m + in) = f(z) for all integers m,n . Prove f is constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Liouville's Theorem - If f is bounded and analytic in C, then f is constant.

(b) I'm guessing I need to use Liouville's Theorem here i.e. need to show the f is bounded. But I'm so confused! The question states that f(z + m + in) = f(z), so f gives the same value regardless of the z. Doesn't this mean that f is constant?!

Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't quite say f(z) is constant. It tells you, for example, that

f(0) = f(1) = f(2) = f(3) = ...

and

f(1/2) = f(3/2) = f(5/2) = ...

but it doesn't directly tell you anything about how f(0) and f(1/2) are related.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and their properties. It includes the analysis of functions of complex variables, which are functions that take complex numbers as inputs and produce complex numbers as outputs.

2. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are a combination of a real number and an imaginary number. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1. Complex numbers are used to represent quantities that involve both real and imaginary parts, and they have important applications in various areas of mathematics and science.

3. What is the difference between real analysis and complex analysis?

Real analysis deals with functions of a real variable, while complex analysis deals with functions of a complex variable. Complex analysis involves the study of complex numbers and complex-valued functions, while real analysis focuses on real numbers and real-valued functions. Additionally, complex analysis has its own set of theorems and techniques that are specific to complex numbers and functions.

4. What are some applications of complex analysis?

Complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of mathematics. It is used in the study of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and other areas of physics. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and image processing in engineering. In mathematics, complex analysis is used to solve problems in number theory, geometry, and other fields.

5. What are some famous theorems in complex analysis?

One of the most famous theorems in complex analysis is the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which provide necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be complex differentiable. The Cauchy integral theorem and Cauchy integral formula are also important theorems that relate to the integration of complex-valued functions. Other notable theorems in complex analysis include the maximum modulus principle, the fundamental theorem of algebra, and the residue theorem.