Heat exchanger output temperature calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of performing CFD simulations on a stainless steel cylindrical heat exchanger and testing different inlet temperatures and flow rates. The speaker also mentions wanting to use hand calculations to verify the results and asks for guidance on which equations to use. The type of heat exchanger is not specified, but the conversation mentions two common methods for analysis - the LMTD method and the ε-NTU method. The speaker also admits to having basic knowledge of fluid flow and no prior experience with thermodynamics.
hamish888

Homework Statement

I have been asked to perform CFD simulations of a basic stainless steel cylindrical heat exchanger. I have to test a range of inlet temperatures and flow rates where external heat applied is constant.

I wish to perform basic hand calculation to verify my results by calculating the average outlet flow temperature but am unsure which equations to use for this. For example variables are as follows,

tank diameter 0.5m
feed pipe diameter 0.02m
tank surface temperature 135 degrees c
inlet flow rate 1l/min
Inlet temperature 50 degrees c

The tank thickness is not specified. The tank is heated by steam and the internal fluid is water.

Homework Equations

Thus far I have tried using variations on the Q=m(h2-h1) principle but have not been able to calculate this as i do not have enough information.

Should I be using Fw = Tw*pi*dl
then
Qw = qw*pi*dl=(Fw*cp*theta m)/Um

and how does qw differ from Qw?

I have basic knowledge of fluid flow and have not before this come into contact with thermodynamics.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What type of heat exchanger are you talking about? I only know how to analyze two, cross-flow and counter flow.

Both are analyzed using the LMTD method or the ε-NTU method.

So if your exchanger is one of those two, I can probably give you some help. But I am not sure as to the parameters in your equations that you posted.

1. How is the output temperature of a heat exchanger calculated?

The output temperature of a heat exchanger is typically calculated using the heat transfer equation Q = m*Cp*ΔT, where Q is the heat transfer rate, m is the mass flow rate, Cp is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the inlet and outlet of the heat exchanger.

2. What factors affect the output temperature of a heat exchanger?

The output temperature of a heat exchanger is affected by several factors, including the type and design of the heat exchanger, the properties of the fluids flowing through it, the flow rates and temperatures of the inlet fluids, and any external factors such as ambient temperature or pressure.

3. How can I improve the output temperature of a heat exchanger?

To improve the output temperature of a heat exchanger, you can increase the heat transfer surface area by adding fins or increasing the number of tubes, increase the flow rate of the fluids, or use higher temperature fluid streams. Additionally, regular maintenance and cleaning of the heat exchanger can help improve its efficiency and output temperature.

4. Can the output temperature of a heat exchanger be accurately predicted?

Yes, the output temperature of a heat exchanger can be accurately predicted using mathematical models and simulations based on the heat transfer equation and the specific parameters of the heat exchanger. However, there may be slight variations between the predicted and actual output temperatures due to external factors or variations in the properties of the fluids.

5. What are some common challenges in calculating the output temperature of a heat exchanger?

Some common challenges in calculating the output temperature of a heat exchanger include variations in fluid properties, such as temperature or viscosity, which can affect the heat transfer rate, as well as external factors like fouling or corrosion on the heat exchanger surface. Additionally, accurately predicting the output temperature can be difficult when dealing with multi-stream or multi-pass heat exchangers.