Estimating Air Molecule Motion at STP

In summary, the conversation discusses the estimation of the time it would take for one nitrogen molecule to move into the region occupied by another at STP, based on the average separation between air molecules and their mean speed. The solution involves finding the distance between molecules at STP, calculating the average velocity of the molecules using the equation 1/2mv^2 = 3/2KT, and then plugging in the values to determine the time it would take for one molecule to move into the region occupied by another. The resulting time is 6.77 x 10^-12 seconds, which is confirmed by external sources.
mlostrac

Homework Statement

From the average separation between air molecules at STP, and their mean speed, estimate how long it would take one molecule to move into the region occupied by another. Assume that air consists mainly of nitrogen molecules.

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2 = 3/2KT

The Attempt at a Solution

Distance between molecules at STP:

(6.02 x 10^23) x D^3 = 22.4 x 10^-3 m^3
D^3 = 3sqrt 22.4x10^-3 / 6.02 x 10^23
D = 3.34 x 10^-9 m

Since mass of N2 = 28 g/ mol, I used this to find the average velocity of the molecules:

1/2mv^2 = 3/2KT
v(rms) = sqrt(3KT/m)
= sqrt (3K (273) / .028 kg
= 6.35 x 10^-10 m/s

I then just plugged my two answers from above into the velocity equation,
velocity = distance/time
time = D/V
time = 3.34 x 10^-9 / 6.25 x 10^-10 = 5.3 seconds

Does what I did make sense? The velocity looks awfully small, so I'm not sure. Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The "m" is the mass of each molecule. You've noted that the mass for each mole is 0.028 kg. You need to divide this by 6.02E23 to get the mass per molecule.

Ah ha! Good eye, thank you for that.

My new velocity is 493 m/s, and my new time is therefore 6.77 x 10^-12 seconds.

Do these numbers make sense?

I think so. At first I was thinking your distance was way too small (it's on the order of the atomic width). But I can't see anything wrong with logic. So I googled "average separation of atoms in a gas" and got the following link:

http://www.practicalphysics.org/go/Guidance_34.html;jsessionid=alZLdQlAHb1?topic_id=4&guidance_id=1

and one from here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43728

Both confirm your number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much for all your help

1. What is STP and why is it important for estimating air molecule motion?

STP stands for Standard Temperature and Pressure, which refers to a set of standardized conditions used to measure gases. It is important for estimating air molecule motion because it allows for consistent and accurate comparisons between different gases.

2. How do scientists estimate air molecule motion at STP?

Scientists use a combination of theoretical models and experimental data to estimate air molecule motion at STP. Theoretical models, such as the Kinetic Theory of Gases, provide a framework for understanding the behavior of gases at a molecular level. Experimental data, such as measurements of temperature and pressure, are used to validate and refine these models.

3. What factors affect air molecule motion at STP?

The motion of air molecules at STP is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the type of gas. As temperature increases, the average speed of air molecules also increases. Pressure affects the density of gas molecules, which in turn affects their motion. Different gases have different molecular masses, which can also impact their motion at STP.

4. How is air molecule motion at STP related to gas properties?

The motion of air molecules at STP is closely related to the physical and chemical properties of gases. For example, gases with lower molecular masses will have higher average speeds at STP compared to gases with higher molecular masses. Additionally, the strength of intermolecular forces between gas molecules can also affect their motion at STP.

5. What are the applications of estimating air molecule motion at STP?

Estimating air molecule motion at STP has many practical applications. It is used in the design and operation of various industrial and environmental processes, such as HVAC systems, chemical reactions, and air pollution control. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as meteorology, where understanding air molecule motion is essential for predicting weather patterns.