Probability current and it's meaning

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving the probability density from the continuity equation and probability current in quantum mechanics. This approach involves starting with a Lagrangian density, varying it to derive the Schrödinger equation, and identifying a global symmetry to derive the Noether 4-current. This construction shows that quantum mechanics is a field theory with a global symmetry, a conserved 4-current, and a conserved charge. This approach is seen as a derivation "from first principles."
nateHI
I understand how to derive the probability current from the continuity equation and probability density. I was able to follow the proof at the beginning of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSi27LC6plE" lecture perfectly.
However, now I'm wondering, what if we were to prove the probability density from the continuity equation and the equation for probability current? To do so we would need to derive the probability current in a similar way the wave function, and probability density, for a particles position was derived.

My question is, does it make sense to start with deriving the probability current and then use the continuity equation to derive the probability density? I thought about this and tried to figure out where I would start but drew a blank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen this in a book or lecture but in principle what one can do is the following:

1) write down a Lagrangian density L for quantum mechanics; L contains the wave function and the potential (or some other interaction term like electromagnetic potentials, spin couplings etc.); but for the basic idea a simple Lagrangian will do

2) vary the Lagrangian density w.r.t. the fave function in order to derive the Schrödinger equation; this is a consistency check

3) identify a global symmetry of the Lagrangian density; this will be the global U(1) rotation of the wave function, i.e. the global phase

4) derive the Noether 4-current for this symmetry: 4-current = (probability density, probability 3-current)

This construction demonstrates that qm is nothing else but a field theory with a global symmetry, a conserved 4-current (continuity equation) and a conserved charge; the conserved charge is nothing else but the normalization constant of the wave function; density and current follow simultaniously from the Noether theorem.

I think this is a derivation rather closed to "from first principles"

Last edited:

1. What is probability current and how is it defined?

Probability current is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the flow of probability density in a particular direction. It is defined as the product of the probability density and the velocity of a quantum particle.

2. How is probability current related to the Schrödinger equation?

In the Schrödinger equation, the probability current is represented by the term involving the gradient of the probability density. This term describes the change in probability density with respect to time and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.

3. What is the significance of probability current in quantum mechanics?

Probability current plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles. It helps to determine the direction and rate of change of the probability density, which is essential in predicting the future state of a system.

4. How is probability current different from classical current?

Classical current describes the flow of charge, while probability current describes the flow of probability density. In classical mechanics, the movement of particles is deterministic, while in quantum mechanics, it is probabilistic.

5. Can probability current be negative?

Yes, probability current can be negative. This means that the probability density is decreasing in a particular direction, indicating that the particle is moving in the opposite direction. It is a common occurrence in quantum mechanics and is an important factor in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.