Difference between covariant and contravariant levi-civita tensor?

In summary, the covariant and contravariant Levi-Civita tensors are mathematical objects used in differential geometry and tensor calculus. They are related to each other by a transformation rule and have opposite transformation properties under coordinate transformations. The covariant Levi-Civita tensor is used to define the dot product and cross product of vectors, while the contravariant tensor is used to define the dual vector space. They play important roles in various areas of physics and mathematics, including general relativity and electromagnetism.
randombill
The title says it all, basically I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the two tensors (levi-civita) that are 3rd rank. Do they expand out in matrix form differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference is in their transformation rules. As long as you are within orthonormal systems - you will not see the difference.

But, BTW, they are pseudo-tensors, not tensors.

P.S. The above applies if you were thinking about [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex] and not about [tex]\Gamma^\mu_{\nu\sigma}[/tex] which is an "object", not a "tensor".

Last edited:
arkajad said:
The difference is in their transformation rules. As long as you are within orthonormal systems - you will not see the difference.

Can you show me what those rules are and do you mean orthonormal in terms of unit vectors in all coordinate systems such as cartesian, spherical, rectangular, etc?

General rule:

[tex]\epsilon^{i'j'k'}=|\det (\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x})|\epsilon^{ijk}[/tex][tex]\epsilon_{i'j'k'}=|\det (\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x})|^{-1}\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]

So, for each coordinate system that you need, calculate the Jacobi determinant of the transformation from (or to) the Cartesian one. It may give you a factor in front different from 1.

But: you should distinguish between Levi-Civita symbol and Levi-Civita tensor.

For Levi-Civita tensor I was trying to guess what you mean.

Levi-Civita symbol is always the same (it is a tensor density, not a tensor).

Last edited:
arkajad said:
General rule:

[tex]\epsilon^{i'j'k'}=|\det (\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x})|\epsilon^{ijk}[/tex]

[tex]\epsilon_{i'j'k'}=|\det (\frac{\partial x'}{\partial x})|^{-1}\epsilon_{ijk}[/tex]

So, for each coordinate system that you need, calculate the Jacobi determinant of the transformation from (or to) the Cartesian one. It may give you a factor in front different from 1.

And this needs to be calculated whenever a change of coordinate systems takes place?

I guess I should also ask another question since this problem was really the reason why I started the thread, although my assumption of the topic for solving the problem was wrong. Below are 3 pictures from a book on WK Tungs group theory (problems and solutions) and its the chapter on Poincaré groups, but I'm having trouble understanding the tensor math involved at two steps.

The pictures are as follows,

Pic 1: The problem itself,
Pic 2: The solution and my question pertains to the part where it says:
"and so after renaming the indices we get". The part I have trouble seeing is what identities they used with the kronecker product in the previous step.
Pic 3: describes the identities used for the problem.
You will also need to rotate the second picture, sorry about that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28141&stc=1&d=1284123257.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=28143&stc=1&d=1284123257.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=28142&stc=1&d=1284123257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5140.jpg
    IMG_5140.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,708
  • IMG_5137.jpg
    IMG_5137.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,657
  • IMG_5139.jpg
    IMG_5139.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,421
Well, there is no "real tensor math" involved. All you need is how to play with Kronecker and Levi-Civita symbols. If you tell me, as an example, at which particular point you have a problem, I will try to help you.

arkajad said:
If you tell me, as an example, at which particular point you have a problem, I will try to help you.

I did tell you the part, its where the book says "and so, after renaming the indices we get:"

I don't see how they got that equation after the previous equation. How did the 1/2 get canceled along with the minus sign disappearing as well as the left hand side of the equation getting simpler and the right hand side becoming "contracted"? I suspect that they used the 2nd identity from the 3rd picture somehow but I'm not sure what they mean by renaming indices and what the rules are for it.

Last edited:
There you have summations over "dummy indices m,n. Whenever you have a repeating index - that means "summation" over this index. You may give it any name you wish (though different than the names of other indices in the same formula).

What you must know is that
[tex]\delta^i_m J^{mn}=J^{in}[/tex] etc.

You should also know that [tex]J^{mn}=-J^{nm}[/tex]

Using this you will see that you get two exactly the same terms on the left. Thus 1/2 disappears.

Can you do it now? If you have still problem - that means you need to go back to the subject "dummy index", summations with Kronecker's delta's in the book or in Wikipedia, and do not skip anything around. Do all the exercises related to these concepts.

Last edited:
Thanks, I believe that answers my question. I was thinking along those lines too but I wasn't sure if those were dummy indices the book mentioned or...

But anyways thanks for the help. I don't think Wikipedia is useful by the way; except for rare exceptions when someone has already learned the material and serves as a reference, otherwise its just common knowledge.

In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi-Civita_symbol" Wiki has a bunch of useful formulas.

Last edited by a moderator:

1) What is the definition of a covariant levi-civita tensor?

A covariant levi-civita tensor is a mathematical object used in tensor calculus to represent the orientation and relative magnitude of a coordinate system in a given space. It is also known as a covariant permutation symbol or an alternating tensor.

2) How does a covariant levi-civita tensor differ from a contravariant levi-civita tensor?

The main difference between a covariant and contravariant levi-civita tensor lies in their transformation properties under a change of coordinates. A covariant levi-civita tensor transforms as a rank-one tensor, while a contravariant levi-civita tensor transforms as a rank-one dual tensor. This means that the components of a covariant levi-civita tensor will change when the coordinate system is transformed, while the components of a contravariant levi-civita tensor will remain the same.

3) What is the physical significance of a levi-civita tensor?

The levi-civita tensor has important physical significance in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is used to define cross products, calculate determinants, and represent the orientation of a coordinate system in a given space.

4) How is a levi-civita tensor used in tensor calculus?

In tensor calculus, the levi-civita tensor is used to define the cross product of two vectors, to perform coordinate transformations, and to define the determinant of a matrix. It is also used in various tensor operations, such as contraction and raising/lowering indices.

5) Is the levi-civita tensor unique?

Yes, the levi-civita tensor is unique up to a scale factor. This means that all levi-civita tensors are equivalent to each other, and can be transformed into one another by multiplying by a constant factor. However, the numerical values of the components of a levi-civita tensor will vary depending on the chosen coordinate system.