Rigorous Introductory physics textbook

In summary, the speaker is looking for a mathematically rigorous introductory physics textbook. They are a mathematics student and have not been satisfied with previous textbooks due to mathematical errors or shortcuts. The other person in the conversation suggests some specific textbooks on classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity that may be of interest.
Riemannliness
I'm wondering if anybody knows about or has used a good introductory physics textbook that is mathematically rigorous. I'm really interested in physics, but I'm a mathematics student and I CAN'T STAND any of the books I've tried to use so far (eg. Knight's Physics). I've really grown to dislike texts that continually do things that are mathematically sketchy (or outright incorrect) but are "good enough for the purposes/scope/level of this textbook".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know any book that fits that description, but there are a few about specific areas of physics that you might like, for example "Mathematical methods of classical mechanics", by V.I. Arnold. For quantum mechanics, you might like "Lectures on quantum theory: Mathematical and structural foundations", by Chris Isham. It's supposed to be a fairly easy read, so it's not exactly filled with rigorous proofs, but it's at least not giving you the wrong ideas about anything. For special relativity, consider "The geometry of Minkowski spacetime", by Gregory Naber.

1. What is the purpose of a rigorous introductory physics textbook?

A rigorous introductory physics textbook is designed to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It aims to develop critical thinking skills through the use of rigorous mathematical and scientific reasoning, preparing students for advanced studies in physics or related fields.

2. How is a rigorous introductory physics textbook different from a regular textbook?

A rigorous introductory physics textbook typically covers a wider range of topics and delves deeper into the underlying principles and mathematical foundations of physics. It also includes more challenging problems and exercises that require a higher level of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Who can benefit from using a rigorous introductory physics textbook?

Any student who is interested in pursuing a career in physics or related fields can benefit from using a rigorous introductory physics textbook. It is also suitable for students who are looking for a more challenging and in-depth understanding of physics, even if they do not plan on majoring in the subject.

4. Is a rigorous introductory physics textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, a rigorous introductory physics textbook can be used for self-study, but it may require a greater level of dedication and discipline. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in mathematics and basic physics concepts before attempting to study from a rigorous textbook on your own.

5. How can a rigorous introductory physics textbook benefit aspiring scientists?

A rigorous introductory physics textbook provides a solid foundation and understanding of the fundamental principles of physics, which is essential for any scientist. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for conducting scientific research and experiments.