Q. Understanding Basic Organic Chemistry Concepts

In summary, movies thinks that the bromo derivative is more easily hydrated because of a hydrogen bonding, that the 1 degree alcohol is more basic because of a higher electronegativity of Br, and that the Pt has more surface area in the hydrogenation reaction because of its fine particles.
ambuj123
well i have a really simple question about organic chemistry if someone could help me it wil be nice.
Q. why is 2-bromocyclohexanal more easily hydrated as compared to cylohexanal.
Q. Why are 3 Degree alcohols more basic the 1 degree alcohol.
Q. Why we add finely divided platinium in hydrogenation reaction

Thank you
awaiting your reply

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, a quick reply comes as I saw this when I was online.

Well, the first made me to think that a hydrogen bonding is involved in the bromo- derivative; as water molecules must combine with the molecules (if you mean this by hydration, I've also considered hydrogenation, and it doesn't change at all).

The second one might be explained by hyperconjugation; tertiary alcohols have three alkyl groups as compared to the primary ones with single group.

The last one is about kinetic issues; finely divided Pt has more surface area than a bulky one.

Regards

Chem_tr is right for 2 and 3. I think that 1 is actually an inductive effect though. Since Br has a high electronegativitiy, it causes inverse hyperconjugation by polarizing the C-Br bond. This puts a partial positive charge on the C at the 2 position, which inductively draws electron density out of the bonds and aggravates the already partially positive carbonyl carbon, therefore making it more prone to attack by water.

It may be a hydrogen bonding effect too, as chem_tr said, but halogens aren't very good hydrogen bond acceptors.

Yes, movies. Your approach seems to be more logical, although mine has something to do in a reduced form.

Halogens are not hydrogen bond acceptors, that's correct, but the acceptor term fits hydrogen better, I think. Bromine is electronegative, thus has a tendency to pull hydrogens to itself more than the environment.

ambuj123, I hope that you are not confused. Movies and I like discussing in a somewhat more detailed form.

Last edited:
You are absolutely right about H being the acceptor in terms of Lewis acid/Lewis base theory. Certainly Br has some affinity for protons, but I would suspect that it would be outweighed by the hydrogen bonding in the aqueous solvent of the hydration reaction.

movies said:
Chem_tr is right for 2 and 3. I think that 1 is actually an inductive effect though. Since Br has a high electronegativitiy, it causes inverse hyperconjugation by polarizing the C-Br bond. This puts a partial positive charge on the C at the 2 position, which inductively draws electron density out of the bonds and aggravates the already partially positive carbonyl carbon, therefore making it more prone to attack by water.

It may be a hydrogen bonding effect too, as chem_tr said, but halogens aren't very good hydrogen bond acceptors.

Yes the inductive effect is responsible for the excess partial positive charge on the carbonyl carbon. The Br through -I polarizes the polarizable carbonyl group further making it more prone to attack by the nucleophilic water molecule as movies has pointed out.

There may be a secondary hydrogen bonding effect too, but that will be less important than the stronger inductive effect due to greater proximity and polarization. For completeness however, you cannot rule out the hydrogen bonding possibility.

Cheers
Vivek

Thanx all
now my concepts are all clear .
Cheers to physics forums and the users.

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of carbon-based compounds and their reactions. It involves the study of the structure, properties, and reactions of molecules that contain carbon atoms.

2. What are some common types of organic compounds?

Some common types of organic compounds include alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, alcohols, carboxylic acids, esters, and amines. These compounds can be found in many natural and synthetic substances, such as sugars, fats, proteins, and plastics.

3. How do I name organic compounds?

Organic compounds are named using a set of rules called the IUPAC nomenclature. This system assigns a unique name to each compound based on its molecular structure and functional groups. The name typically includes a prefix indicating the number of carbon atoms, followed by a suffix indicating the type of functional group present.

4. What are functional groups in organic chemistry?

Functional groups are specific arrangements of atoms or bonds within a molecule that determine its chemical properties and reactivity. They are responsible for the characteristic reactions of organic compounds and can be classified into different categories, such as hydrocarbons, alcohols, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, and amines.

5. How do I balance chemical equations in organic chemistry?

The process of balancing chemical equations in organic chemistry is the same as in other branches of chemistry. First, write out the unbalanced equation, then count the number of each type of atom on both sides of the equation. Use coefficients to balance the equation while maintaining the same number of atoms on each side. It is important to also balance the charges and verify that the equation is balanced both in terms of atoms and charge.