How Do You Calculate the Average Force on a Driver in a Crash?

In summary: So an estimate of ~700N (± 350N) is probably a fair estimate of the average force on the driver throughout the crash. The direction of the force is not considered in this calculation.
jayberd
Problem:
A race car skidding out of control manages to slow down to 90km/h before crashing head-on into a brick wall. Fortunately, the driver is wearing a safety harness. Using reasonable values for the mass of the driver and the stopping distance, estimate the average force exerted on the driver by the safety harness, including its direction. Neglect any effects of frictional forces on the driver by the seat.

Equations:
F=ma this is net force, but what is average force?
vx=vox+axt

I tried using the vx equation to find the acceleration. I guessed the initial velocity of the car/driver was 130km/h and I also guessed it would take 5 seconds to bring the velocity down to 90km/h. I ended up getting a really tiny force no matter how I tried it. I also just tried finding the acceleration the normal way, but the same thing. Anyone else have a good way of going about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF jayberd!

The idea with the average force is that the safety harness applies a force to the driver over some distance (i.e. it allows him to move forward somewhat before stopping). In general, that force might vary over that distance in a complicated way (it won't be constant). We don't have enough information to say how the force that the safety harness applies varies with position during this stopping motion. All we can speak of is some sort of average force, where the average is taken over the distance interval.

The good news is that the total work done on the driver (which we DO know because we know his initial and final kinetic energies) will still be equal to that distance-averaged force times the total distance. So you don't have to actually take the average (which is good, because again, you don't have enough information to do so). Based on the total work done, you can work out what the average force had to have been.

We're talking about the deceleration that occurs from the moment of hitting the wall to the moment of the driver coming to a full stop. So 90 km/h is the INITIAL condition here, not the final one. The final condition is that the driver is at rest.

Last edited:
cepheid said:
Welcome to PF jayberd!

The idea with the average force is that the safety harness applies a force to the driver over some distance (i.e. it allows him to move forward somewhat before stopping). In general, that force might vary over that distance in a complicated way (it won't be constant). We don't have enough information to say how the force that the safety harness applies varies with position during this stopping motion. All we can speak of is some sort of average force, where the average is taken over the distance interval.

The good news is that the total work done on the driver (which we DO know because we know his initial and final kinetic energies) will still be equal to that distance-averaged force times the total distance. So you don't have to actually take the average (which is good, because again, you don't have enough information to do so). Based on the total work done, you can work out what the average force had to have been.

We're talking about the deceleration that occurs from the moment of hitting the wall to the moment of the driver coming to a full stop. So 90 km/h is the INITIAL condition here, not the final one. The final condition is that the driver is at rest.

so I end up having to solve for
0km/hr=90km/hr+axt
but where does t come from? s=dt? or can I use displacement in terms of velocity?

jayberd said:
so I end up having to solve for
0km/hr=90km/hr+axt
but where does t come from? s=dt? or can I use displacement in terms of velocity?

Umm, did you read my post? I think the best way of solving this problem is just to compute the total work done on the driver and equate it to the (average force)*(distance).

Last edited:
Or you could use the kinematic formula for velocity in terms of displacement, the only difference from usual being that a is interpreted as being the average acceleration (with the average being as I described before).

I suspect they're asking for the force exerted on the driver as he slows from 90km/h to 0km/h as the car crashes into the wall, crumpling up the front end of the car.

"... Using reasonable values for the mass of the driver and the stopping distance, estimate the average force exerted on the driver by the safety harness ..."

Reasonable mass & stopping distance might be ~75kg and ~1m respectively, both ± 30% or so.

1. What causes a force to crash into a wall?

A force crashes into a wall when there is a sudden change in its motion or direction, causing it to collide with the wall. This can happen due to external factors such as an applied force, or internal factors such as a change in velocity or acceleration.

2. How does the force of impact affect the wall?

The force of impact can cause damage to the wall depending on its magnitude and the strength of the wall. If the force is strong enough, it can cause the wall to break or crumble. The type of material the wall is made of also plays a role in how it will be affected by the force of impact.

3. What is the difference between force and pressure in a wall collision?

Force and pressure are two related but distinct concepts. Force is a measure of the amount of energy applied to an object, while pressure is the force per unit area. In the context of a wall collision, force would be the total amount of energy exerted on the wall, while pressure would be the force distributed over the surface of the wall.

4. Can a force crash into a wall without causing any damage?

Yes, it is possible for a force to crash into a wall without causing any damage. This can happen if the force is not strong enough or if the wall is designed to withstand a certain amount of force. Additionally, if the force is evenly distributed over the surface of the wall, it may not cause any damage.

5. What factors can affect the force of impact in a wall collision?

The force of impact in a wall collision can be affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the object, the angle of impact, and the type and strength of the wall. Other external factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in determining the force of impact.