Finding the Normal Vector for a Plane in 3D Space - Is My Approach Correct?

In summary: You should look at whether a, b, or c is not scalar multiple of u or v. If yes, none of them will be right.
hkus10
1) Find a vector equation for the plane in R3(3D) with scalar equation 2x − 3y + z = 5 .

First,I find three points on the plane and then I used one point as a fixed point in order to find two vectors on the plane by using two other points. Then, I tried to test whether the two vectors are perpendicular to the normal vector of this plane by using cross product. However, I do not get the right normal vector by using my two vectors on the plane?
My question is that whether my approach is wrong? If yes, what should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach sounds fine. Show us your calculations so we can spot where the mistake lies.

hi hkus10! :wink:
hkus10 said:
First,I find three points on the plane and then I used one point as a fixed point in order to find two vectors on the plane by using two other points. Then, I tried to test whether the two vectors are perpendicular to the normal vector of this plane by using cross product.

do you mean that you used the cross product as the normal?

that should work :confused:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong! :smile:

is there any way to post a matrix in this forum. If yes, how?

easiest way is to use the CODE tags (because they preserve the spacing) :wink:

Code:
a b c
d e f
g h i

Oops! When I do it over, I found the right answer...this is math! However, I do have another question.

1) Let P(is a 4 by 1 vector) = (refer to quote) and v(is a 4 by 1 vector) = (refer to quote). Let Λ be the line in R4 through P and parallel to v.
P = 2 v = 1
1 -2
0 3
5 0
2,1,0,5 for p and the rest of them will be the pattern
The real question is which of the following vectors are in Λ?
a = 2 ; b = 4 ; c = -1
4 -3 -3
6 6 3
0 5 -5

For this question, do I look at whether each of a, b, or c is the scalar multiple of v? If yes, none of them will be right? If no, how to look at it?

2) Let P(is a 4 by 1 vector) = (refer to quote), u( is a 4 by 1 vector) = refer to quote) and v(is a 4 by 1 vector) = (refer to quote). Let Π be the line in R4 through P and parallel to v.
P = 0 u= 1 v = 1
2 2 2
3 -1 2
1 2 1

The real question is which of the following vectors are in Λ?
a = 2 ; b = 0 ; c = 5
4 2 12
4 0 4
4 2 9

For this question do I have to look at whether a, b, or c is not scalar multiple of u or v, or a, b, or c is not scalar multiple of each other(a,b, c)? If yes, none of them will be right?
If no, how to approach it?

push!

What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of equations that can be represented graphically as a system of lines. Each equation in the system contains two or more variables and can be solved simultaneously to find a unique solution.

How do you solve a linear system?

There are multiple methods for solving a linear system, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most efficient method depends on the specific equations and variables involved.

What is the importance of solving linear systems?

Solving linear systems is important in many fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. It allows us to find solutions to real-world problems and make predictions based on data.

What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent linear systems?

A consistent linear system has at least one solution that satisfies all of the equations, while an inconsistent system has no solution that satisfies all of the equations. This can be determined by graphing or by performing calculations.

Can linear systems have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a linear system to have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the equations in the system are dependent, meaning one or more equations are multiples of each other.