Designing a High Performance Two Cylinder Eccentric Circular Cam Piston Pump

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with designing a two cylinder eccentric circular cam-type piston pump to deliver a flow rate of 0.65 m^3/s at a rotational speed of 110 rad/s. They need to find the stroke length and piston diameter and have calculated a possible solution by dividing the rotational speed by 2pi and then using the volumetric efficiency and flow rate to find the required volume per stroke. They then set this equal to the stroke length times the volume of the two cylinders and found the diameter and stroke length to be 12.6 cm. They are asking for confirmation on their solution.
bigdogt33
This is actually a homework question that i am confused about.

This is the question.
Design a two cylinder eccentric circular cam-type piston pump to deliver a flow rate of 0.65 m^3/s at a rotational speed of 110 rad/s. Let the stroke length equal the piston diameter and assume a volumetric efficiency of 75%. I need to find the stroke length and piston diameter.

Thanks for anyone who helps

Engineering news on Phys.org
Think about how to figure out the volume required per each stoke from the givin information. Then what is the volume of a "square cylinder"?

i started by taking the 110 rad/s and dividing by 2pi to get 17.5 revolutions per sec. Then 1 stroke length per revolution which in turn gets 17.5 strokes lengths per sec to get shaft speed.

since it required a flow rate of .65, I divided that by 0.75 efficiency to get 0.867 m^3/s

then i divided that by 17.5 and set the whole thing equal to stroke length times the volume of the two cylinders.

Found the diameter and stroke length to equal 12.6 cm.

Is this correct or did i make a mistake?

1. What is an eccentric circular cam?

An eccentric circular cam is a mechanical device used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a circular disc with an off-center pin or shaft called the eccentric. As the cam rotates, the eccentric produces an uneven motion that is transferred to a follower, causing it to move back and forth in a linear direction.

2. How does an eccentric circular cam work?

An eccentric circular cam works by utilizing the eccentric to produce an off-center motion as it rotates. This creates an uneven lift or displacement of the follower, which can be used to perform various mechanical actions such as opening or closing a valve, pushing or pulling a lever, or driving a reciprocating motion.

3. What are the advantages of using an eccentric circular cam?

One of the main advantages of using an eccentric circular cam is its simplicity and efficiency. These cams require minimal maintenance and have a low cost of production. They also offer precise and controlled motion, making them suitable for various industrial and mechanical applications.

4. What are some common uses for eccentric circular cams?

Eccentric circular cams are commonly used in machinery and equipment such as engines, pumps, valves, and presses. They are also used in manufacturing processes, such as stamping and cutting, and in everyday objects like door closers and windshield wipers.

5. Are there any limitations to using an eccentric circular cam?

While eccentric circular cams have many advantages, they do have some limitations. They are not suitable for high-speed applications due to the potential for wear and tear on the follower. Additionally, the off-center motion of the eccentric can cause vibration and noise, which may need to be addressed in certain applications.