Flux Linkage through two coils

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the mutual inductance between two coils can be calculated using the equation M = N2 * Φ / I1, where N2 is the number of turns in the second coil, Φ is the flux linkage through the second coil, and I1 is the current in the first coil. Using this equation and the given values, we can determine that the flux linkage through coil 2 is 1.52×10^-6 Wb.
123yt
1. Coil 1 has an inductance of 4.50×10-2 H and 140 turns. Coil 2 has an inductance of 8.00×10^-2 H and 230 turns. The coils are rigidly positioned with respect to each other, their mutual inductance is 5.00×10^-3 H. A 7.00×10^-3 A current in coil 1 is changing at a rate of 7.0 A/s.

What flux links coil 2?

2. M = N2 * Flux Linkage / i1
3. Mutual inductance = 5*10^-3
Current in first wire = 7 * 10^-3
Turns in second wire = 230

Flux linkage through second wire = 5 * 10^-3 * 7 * 10^-3 / 230 = 1.52*10^-7 Wb
Solution doesn't work.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this problem with the forum. I would like to provide a more detailed explanation and solution to this problem.

First of all, let's define some terms and equations that are relevant to this problem.

- Inductance (L): a property of a coil that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field when a current flows through it. It is measured in Henrys (H).

- Mutual inductance (M): a property of two coils that describes how a changing current in one coil induces a voltage in the other coil. It is measured in Henrys (H).

- Flux linkage (Φ): the amount of magnetic flux that passes through a coil. It is measured in Weber (Wb).

- Current (I): the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in Amperes (A).

Now, let's look at the given information in the problem:

- Coil 1 has an inductance of 4.50×10^-2 H and 140 turns.
- Coil 2 has an inductance of 8.00×10^-2 H and 230 turns.
- Mutual inductance between the coils is 5.00×10^-3 H.
- Current in coil 1 is changing at a rate of 7.0 A/s.

Using the equation for mutual inductance, we can calculate the flux linkage through coil 2:

M = N2 * Φ / I1

Where:
- N2 is the number of turns in coil 2
- Φ is the flux linkage through coil 2
- I1 is the current in coil 1

Substituting the given values, we get:

5.00×10^-3 H = 230 * Φ / 7.0 A/s

Solving for Φ, we get:

Φ = 1.52×10^-6 Wb

Therefore, the flux linkage through coil 2 is 1.52×10^-6 Wb.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the solution to this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

What is flux linkage through two coils?

Flux linkage through two coils refers to the amount of magnetic flux that passes through both coils when a current is passed through one of the coils. It is a measure of the magnetic coupling between the two coils.

How is flux linkage related to inductance?

Flux linkage is directly proportional to inductance. This means that the higher the flux linkage through the two coils, the higher the inductance will be. It is an important factor in understanding the behavior of inductors in electrical circuits.

How does the number of turns in the coils affect flux linkage?

The number of turns in the coils has a direct impact on the flux linkage through the coils. The more turns there are, the higher the flux linkage will be. This is because more turns create a stronger magnetic field, resulting in more flux passing through the coils.

What is the equation for calculating flux linkage through two coils?

The equation for calculating flux linkage through two coils is Φ = N1N2M, where Φ is the flux linkage, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two coils, and M is the mutual inductance between the two coils.

How is flux linkage through two coils measured?

Flux linkage through two coils can be measured using a flux meter or by using a voltmeter and ammeter to measure the induced voltage and current in the coils. It can also be calculated using the above equation if the values of N1, N2, and M are known.