Where is the seperatrix on a double pendulum?

• Thread starter dave1234
  • Start date
In summary, to investigate chaos in a double pendulum, you will need to determine when the pendulum crosses the separatrix and plot a phase portrait to show its behavior over time. Additionally, you will need to look for signs of deterministic chaos in order to fully understand the chaotic behavior of the system.
dave1234
Hi I am trying to investigate chaos and a double pendulum. Howvere I am stuck for whcih direction to go in. I want to find the point at which the double pendulum shows chaotic behavior. Having read a few peioces here and there, i have an idea that if i could determine when the pendulum crosses a seperatrix then this might be th point I am looking for. But where is the seperatrix on a dpouble pendulum? Also I am gogin to do this experiment as a practical and am wondering what measurment si can take in order to get some results, of a numerical order, and to plot some graphs, or maybe some phase portraits to show the chaotic behavior.

Any other help on double pendulum investigatons would be helpful.

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
The separatrix is typically defined as the region in phase space (the set of all possible positions and velocities of a system) that separates trajectories with distinct behaviors. In a double pendulum, the separatrix is a curve in the 3-dimensional phase space which separates trajectories that will eventually return to the same position from those that will not. To determine when the pendulum crosses the separatrix, you can measure the position of the pendulum at regular intervals over time, and calculate its velocity and acceleration. When these three values cross certain thresholds, it indicates that the pendulum has crossed the separatrix.In order to plot a phase portrait, you will need to measure the position of the pendulum at regular intervals over time, as well as its velocity and acceleration. You can then use these three values to plot points on the phase portrait, which will show the behavior of the system over time. Finally, to investigate chaos, you will need to look for signs of deterministic chaos, such as sensitive dependence on initial conditions, fractal patterns in the phase portrait, and the presence of strange attractors.

What is "Crossing the Separatrix"?

"Crossing the Separatrix" refers to the process of transitioning from one stable state to another in a dynamic system. This concept is commonly used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to describe the behavior of complex systems.

What does the term "separatrix" mean?

A separatrix is a boundary or dividing line between two different states or regions in a system. It represents the point at which a system transitions from one stable state to another.

What are some examples of "Crossing the Separatrix" in real-world systems?

Examples of "Crossing the Separatrix" can be seen in a variety of systems, such as weather patterns, chemical reactions, and population dynamics. For instance, a hurricane transitioning from a tropical storm to a Category 1 hurricane would be considered "Crossing the Separatrix".

What factors can affect the process of "Crossing the Separatrix"?

The process of "Crossing the Separatrix" can be influenced by a variety of factors, including external forces, changes in the system's parameters, and random fluctuations. These factors can either facilitate or inhibit the transition from one state to another.

What are the implications of "Crossing the Separatrix" for scientific research?

The concept of "Crossing the Separatrix" has important implications for scientific research, as it helps scientists understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It also highlights the importance of considering multiple stable states in a system, rather than assuming a single stable equilibrium.