Diffrential equation subject qs

• Thread starter ishterz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffrential
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation and finding the expression for x in terms of t. The correct solution is ln|x-250|= 0.1t + 250 and x= 750e^{0.1t}+ 250. The mistake of thinking e^{a+b}= e^a+ e^b is also addressed.
ishterz
Hello,

I managed to solve the differential equation : dx/dt= 0.1 (x-250)

with the information when t=0 x=1000 and dx/dt= 75, I also found "C" and got
ln lx-250l = 0.1t + ln750

However, I am having trouble obtaining the expression for x in terms of t

I got x= e^0.1t +1000 which is wrong

Please help

Thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
In

ln lx-250l = 0.1t + ln750

nothing authorised the ln750 - maybe you were trying to take too many steps at a time. Just write a general integration constant K, or better lnK and then find out what it must be and it all works out.

You get [itex]ln|x-250|= 0.1t+ C[/itex]. Setting t= 0 and x= 1000, you get [itex]ln(1000- 250)= ln(750)= C[/itex] so, contrary to epenguin, you are correct- [itex]ln|x- 250|= 0.1t+ 250[/itex].

Now, take the exponential of both sides,
[tex]x- 250= e^{0.1t+ ln(750)}= e^{0.1t}e^{ln(750)}= 750 e^{0.1t}[/tex]
so that x= 750 e^{0.1t}+ 250.

I suspect you made the mistake of thinking that [itex]e^{a+ b}= e^a+ e^b[/itex] rather than the correct [itex]e^{a+b}= e^ae^b[/itex].

It does happen that that [itex]dx/dt(0)= 75[\itex] but since the equation is first order, integrating gives one undetermined constant so you can only impose one condition, not two.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on its rate of change at any given point. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change, and the variable itself.

2. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of scientific and mathematical fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict how systems change over time, making them a valuable tool in understanding and solving real-world problems.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear differential equations, and first-order and higher-order differential equations.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Generally, it involves finding a general solution, which is a family of solutions that satisfy the equation, and then applying initial conditions or boundary conditions to find a particular solution. Different methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration, can be used to solve different types of differential equations.

5. Are differential equations used in real-life situations?

Yes, differential equations are used extensively in real-life situations, from predicting the spread of diseases to designing bridges and analyzing financial markets. They are essential in understanding and modeling dynamic systems and are a fundamental tool in many scientific and engineering disciplines.