Single Rotor Versus Coaxial Rotor Lift

In summary, neither rotor by itself generates additional lift for a helicopter, but the helicopter has additional lift due to the elimination of the tail rotor.
Kalagaraz
I'm having a tiny debate with someone over whether a 2nd coaxial rotor generates additional lift for a helicopter by itself or the helicopter has additional lift only due to the elimination of the tail rotor so 100% power goes to generating lift?

My theory is that it does not generate additional lift in and by itself or if it does very minimal. I base this on the theory that the 1st rotor accelerates the air to high speed giving very little additional energy the 2nd rotor can add to the air to accelerate it to more to generate additional lift. So the 2nd rotor's only purpose is to eliminate the need for a tail rotor and generate additional lift by having more power from engine.

The counter argument is that the 2nd rotor does generate additional lift beyond that of simply the extra power from engine. He said something about friction I don't know wasn't really paying attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second rotor does indeed generate lift. In order for the second rotor to counteract the torque of the first rotor, the same amount of torque must be applied to both rotors. This means that both rotors are doing work, and since both rotors have airfoils, they are both accelerating air.

That having been said, for a given engine power, I doubt the lifting power would be very different between a twin counterrotating rotor helicopter as compared to a standard configuration. In the twin rotor configuration, the power will be fairly evenly split between the rotors, while for the single rotor, the power will almost all go to the main rotor. As a result, I would think the lifting power would be about the same.

The second rotor would be similar to going from a 2 bladed propellor to a 4 bladed propeller. As far as lift force versus power goes, it's more efficient than spinning a single rotor of the same size at a much faster rpm and/or greater angle of attack to generate the same lift force, but it's less efficient than using a much larger single rotor, or a 4 bladed main rotor of the same size (no complicated coaxial setup). In the case of propellers, the main reason for going to more than 2 blades is ground clearance limitations during takeoffs and landings. I'm not sure why coaxail rotors are used for full scale helicopters. They are more stable than single rotor helicopters, which makes them popular as beginner radio control models.

What is the difference between a single rotor and a coaxial rotor?

A single rotor refers to a helicopter design with one main rotor and a tail rotor for stability. A coaxial rotor, on the other hand, has two main rotors that rotate in opposite directions to counteract each other's torque.

Which type of rotor provides better lift?

Both single and coaxial rotors can provide sufficient lift for a helicopter. However, coaxial rotors have a higher lift efficiency due to their counter-rotating design, making them more suitable for carrying heavier loads.

What are the advantages of a single rotor?

A single rotor design allows for a larger main rotor, which can provide greater lift and stability. It also allows for a simpler and lighter tail rotor, reducing the overall weight of the helicopter.

What are the advantages of a coaxial rotor?

A coaxial rotor design eliminates the need for a tail rotor, reducing the complexity and maintenance costs of the helicopter. It also allows for a more compact design, making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces.

Which type of rotor is more commonly used in modern helicopters?

Both single and coaxial rotors are commonly used in modern helicopters, but the choice depends on the specific application. Coaxial rotors are often used in military and heavy lift helicopters, while single rotors are more commonly found in commercial and general aviation helicopters.