Understanding Poisson's Ratio Limits

In summary, Clare is asking why there are theoretical limits to the poisson ratio, which she is not understanding. She is also asking for help understanding what the Bulk modulus and Poissons ratio are.
clare*
I'm doing A2 course work on properties of materials and have been looking at Youngs modulus, Bulk modulus, Poissons ratio and Shear stress strain etc.:uhh: Was wondering if any kind person would be able to explain why Poissons ratio has theoretical limits of -1 to 0.5? Have tried to search on the web but am confused by the answers I find! They don't seem very clear! :confused:
Thanks in advance,
Clare :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I've noticed it too when I dealt with structural engineering. Some Elasticity equations seem to break up when such poisson ratios are substituted. Surely you have taken a look at some denominators of the Elasticity equations and have realized of that.

Once upon a time.. :smile: I ask to my teacher about it. He said to me is impossible to find a material with such poisson ratios (I think a negative poisson ratio has no physical sense in fact), i.e. there is no material of poisson ratio of 0.5 in the Nature. Thus, the Elasticity Equations are given birth by the Nature, so that they cannot be used with any imaginary material.

It's like the adiabatic constant [tex] \gamma[/tex] There are a lot of equations inside Fluid Mechanics that are singular for some value of gamma, but that value is not present in our environment.

mmmm, I have read that there are some materials with negative poissons ratios that are man made-some, weird types of foam for example...let me try and find the website that I saw it on. I realize that if poissons ratio=0.5 then K, the Bulk modulus will be infinite meaning the material is incompressible which obviously cannot be true. But its the -1 limit I'm struggling with! I found a site that said "A Possons ratio of greater than -1 must be required to ensure that K is greater than 0 and that the solid contracts under the influence of positive compressive stress" I may be being a bit thick here but could you explain it to me in a different way?? I don't really get it!

1. What is Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio is a material property that describes the relationship between the strain or deformation in the direction of an applied force and the strain or deformation in the perpendicular direction. It is denoted by the Greek letter "nu" (ν) and is defined as the negative ratio of transverse strain to axial strain.

2. What is the significance of Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio is an important parameter in materials science and engineering because it can provide insight into the mechanical properties and behavior of a material. It can also be used to predict how a material will deform under different types of loading conditions.

3. What are the limits of Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio has a theoretical limit of -1.0, meaning that the material would completely contract in one direction while being stretched in the other. However, in practical terms, most materials have a Poisson's Ratio between 0 and 0.5, with rubber and other highly flexible materials having values closer to 0.5.

4. How is Poisson's Ratio measured?

Poisson's Ratio can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as tensile or compression testing, where the strain or deformation in both the axial and transverse directions can be recorded and compared. It can also be calculated using other material properties, such as Young's Modulus and shear modulus.

5. Can Poisson's Ratio be changed?

Yes, Poisson's Ratio can be changed through various methods, such as altering the microstructure of a material or applying external forces or stresses. For example, some materials can exhibit negative Poisson's Ratios, where they expand in the transverse direction when compressed in the axial direction, by incorporating specific arrangements of microstructural elements.