Net Ionic Equations: Solutions & Examples

• Thread starter ATranPV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the net ionic equation for the first reaction is 2HNO2 + Na2CO3 --> 2NaNO2 + H2CO3, with the observation that carbonic acid immediately decomposes. For the second reaction, the net ionic equation is HNO3 + 3Zn --> 3Zn(NO3)2 + 4H2O + 2NO, with the additional note that the second reaction is a REDOX reaction.
ATranPV

Homework Statement

Write the net ionic equation for the following reactions:

1). Excess 6 M HNO2 is added to 1 M Na2CO3. Na2CO3 displays 2eq/mol

2). Nitric Acid is added to Zinc metal. The products are nitrogen monoxide and zinc ion.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

1). 2HNO2 + Na2CO3 --> 2NaNo2 + H2CO3

When I tried writing the total ionic equation, I noticed that both acids were weak acids. Does this reaction occur?

2). HNO3 + 3Zn --> 3Zn(NO3)2 + 4H2O + 2NO

This is as far as I got...

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Carbonic acid immediately decomposes.

Some of these substances are completely dissociated, start writing them as ions.

I've figured them out. I was trying to do double displacement for the acid base reacton and realized that the second one is a REDOX reaction. Thanks!

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only shows the relevant species and their respective charges involved in a reaction. It excludes spectator ions, which are ions that do not participate in the reaction.

2. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the ions that are present in their aqueous form and eliminate any spectator ions. Finally, write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.

3. What is the purpose of writing a net ionic equation?

The purpose of writing a net ionic equation is to focus on the actual chemical reaction taking place, rather than the ions that are present in the reaction. This allows for a clearer understanding of the chemical changes that occur during a reaction.

4. Can you give an example of a net ionic equation?

Sure, let's look at the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The balanced molecular equation is HCl + NaOH -> NaCl + H2O. The net ionic equation is H+ + OH- -> H2O.

5. How do you know which ions are spectator ions?

Spectator ions are ions that are present on both the reactant and product side of a chemical equation. They do not undergo any chemical changes and can be eliminated from the net ionic equation. They are typically ions that are found in the same form on both sides of the equation, such as Na+ and Cl- in the example above.