Atheroma / thrombus - which one

• Thread starter missy75
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a multiple choice question regarding a 56-year-old man who died suddenly from a critical stenosis in his left anterior descending artery. The discussion centers around the most likely pathological feature, with the correct answer being atheroma due to the presence of a lipid core and fibrous calf in the autopsy report. The conversation also touches on the possibility of a thrombus being involved and the combination of both atheroma and thrombus being the cause of the fatal event.
missy75
hi all,
im new here. this may be a silly question, but I am going through exam quetions (MCQs) and wondered if you could help me with this one.

A 56 yr old man with a history of angina dies suddenly. An autopsy reveals critical stenosis in the left anterior descending artery. The lesion has a lipid core with a fibrous calf. What is the most likely pathological feature?

A - thrombus
B - atheroma
C - embolus
D - carcinoma in situ
D - infective embolus

I think the answer is A (thrombus), because the thrombus seems to be the cause of this man's death (acute coronary syndrome). I'm thrown off by the words "pathological feature" - it makes me consider anser B (atheroma) because an atheroma would initiallyhave to be present, then rupture to form the thrombus.

Please comment on why you think I am wrong/right.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
missy75 said:
I'm thrown off by the words "pathological feature" - it makes me consider anser B (atheroma) because an atheroma would initiallyhave to be present, then rupture to form the thrombus.

Please comment on why you think I am wrong/right.

Thank you!

Why do you think it's a thrombus? What would you expect in a 'tissue' prep of a thrombus? What about an atheroma? In fact, a fatal event would likely be due to a combination of both, with a thrombus closing a lumen already partially blocked by an atheroma. What does the histopathology describe? I think that's what the question is asking.

Last edited:
thanks, I've changed my answer to atheroma now. The lipid core and fibrous calf hints at this, and there is no mention of a blood clot/evidence of rupture of the plaque.

1. What is the difference between atheroma and thrombus?

Atheroma is a fatty deposit that forms on the inner lining of arteries, while a thrombus is a blood clot that forms within a blood vessel.

2. What causes the formation of atheroma and thrombus?

Atheroma is caused by the buildup of cholesterol and other fatty substances in the artery wall, leading to a narrowing of the artery. Thrombus formation is usually caused by an injury to the blood vessel or an imbalance in the body's blood clotting process.

3. Can atheroma and thrombus lead to similar health problems?

Yes, both atheroma and thrombus can lead to serious health problems such as heart attack, stroke, and peripheral artery disease. They can also cause blockages in blood vessels, cutting off blood supply to vital organs.

4. How are atheroma and thrombus diagnosed?

Both atheroma and thrombus can be diagnosed through medical imaging tests such as ultrasound, MRI, and CT scans. Blood tests can also be done to check for markers of inflammation and clotting.

5. What are the treatment options for atheroma and thrombus?

Treatment for atheroma and thrombus may include lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet and exercise, medications to lower cholesterol and prevent blood clots, and surgical procedures to remove blockages or repair damaged blood vessels.

Back