Forces at two points of a body

In summary: to the previous questionthe point of application of the force does not matter, just the line of application of the force matters …
batballbat

Homework Statement

Two given forces act at two given points of a body; if they are turned round those points in the same direction through any two equal angles, show that their resultant will always pass through a fixed point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried but could not make any progress with the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
hi batballbat! :wink:

the first thing to do is to find where that point is …

so try the two simplest cases, one in which the first force points along AB, and one in which the second force points along AB …

what do you get? :smile:

batballbat said:
if two forces act on different points of a body then at which point does the resultant act?

hint: add the two forces, then subtract the resultant …

that must be zero, and in particular, its moment about any point must be zero :wink:

i didnt get u

if you have a force F along the line AP, and another force F along the line BQ,

and if the resultant of F and G is H,

the the resultant of F G and -H must be zero,

so in particular the moment of F + G - H about any point must be zero …

so what point must H go through?​

i have the problem of adding two vectors not acting at the same point. can u give me a general solution?

the point of application of the force does not matter,

only the line of application of the force matters …

if a force is acting at a point A, it's the same as if it was acting at any other point on the line through A in the direction of the force

ok so the resultant acts along AD

batballbat said:
ok so the resultant acts along AD

what's D ?? there isn't a D ! :confused:

go back to my previous question …

try the two simplest cases, one in which the first force points along AB, and one in which the second force points along AB

is it one of the two given points on the body?
just give me an answer if u are not allowed to give a solution

1. What are forces at two points of a body?

Forces at two points of a body refer to the external forces acting on a body at two distinct points. These forces can include gravity, friction, applied forces, and other external factors that can cause the body to move or change shape.

2. How are forces at two points of a body measured?

Forces at two points of a body are typically measured using a force meter or a scale. These tools can determine the magnitude of the forces acting on the body at different points, as well as the direction in which the forces are acting.

3. What is the difference between internal and external forces?

Internal forces are those that act within a body, while external forces act on a body from the outside. Forces at two points of a body are considered external forces, as they are acting on the body from the outside.

4. How do forces at two points of a body affect its motion?

Forces at two points of a body can affect its motion in several ways. Depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces, the body may accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. These forces can also cause the body to deform or rotate.

5. How can forces at two points of a body be calculated?

Forces at two points of a body can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on a body is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This law can be applied to individual forces at different points on the body to determine the overall effect on the body's motion.