Search PF with FireFox or Mozilla

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, this is a search plugin for Firefox and Mozilla users that allows quick searching of the physics forums. It works and is easy to use.
This is a seach plugin for those of you who use firefox or mozilla. This way you can quickly search PF even if your not directly at the site.

copy the 2 files from the .zip file to:
<mozilla installation directory>\searchplugins\

once you copy the files and restart firefox, see the search engine input box, I think google is the default, click the icon with the arrow and PF should now be an option.

Attachments

• search.zip
    927 bytes · Views: 318
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i copied them to the folder, but nothing has changed, and i have restarted firefox

justinbaker said:
i copied them to the folder, but nothing has changed, and i have restarted firefox

see the search engine input box, I think google is the default, click the icon with the arrow and PF should now be an option.

It works!
Cool!
How did u make it? or am i not supposed to ask that?

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
It works!
Cool!
How did u make it? or am i not supposed to ask that?

-- AI

Open the physicsforums.src in a text editor, it's really quite easy

For those of you who don't have firefox, get it here: http://www.mozilla.org/

That's awesome, it works great!

What the ****!
Thats it?
Man pretty neat!

-- AI

ohh i see now, but the default search thingy for firefox sucks, is this possible with the google extension in firefox?

Greg, you should submit this to mozdev:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/contribute.html [Broken]

Or atleast use the plugin generator to make it easy to install.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with dduardo after all this website is just as important as google. once again firefox rules and physics forums users get to use it to their advantage.

What a great little plug in!

Awesome - thanks. Nearly as good as Adblock... :smile:

I'm currently working on a firefox/mozilla toolbar for PF.

Features:
---------

search
new private messages
science news
quick post
reference links

anything else you guys would want?

So how's that toolbar coming along?

you can use a feature of firefox called "quick searches" also here. in fact, it works on all search boxes all over the net.

right click any search box (or press key between "alt gr" and "right ctrl") and click "Add a keyword for this search" give it a keyword such as "physics"

this means that in the address bar, you can actually just type "<yourkeyword> <yoursearch>"

eg. "physics frequency problem"

and it will jump to the search results for this search.

PS: LOVE the RSS feeds so useful.

You can also just search in Internet Explorer. Open google type in site:physicsforums.com and your keyword.

Maybe I am confused here, Monique, but why would someone want to go to google to search pf? Is there some difference?

The ad-in Greg is suggesting also uses google. Google uses a superior indexing and search algorithm than is incorporated in these forum software. And not everyone has or wants to use firefox or mozilla.

Monique said:
The ad-in Greg is suggesting also uses google. Google uses a superior indexing and search algorithm than is incorporated in these forum software. And not everyone has or wants to use firefox or mozilla.

The problem with using google to search PF is that google doesn't have every thread indexed and won't have the new threads since google only updates every few days.

1. What is PF and why should I search for it with FireFox or Mozilla?

PF stands for "public forum" and it is a platform where people can engage in discussions and share information on a variety of topics. FireFox and Mozilla are popular web browsers that offer advanced search capabilities and enhanced security, making them ideal for searching and browsing on PF.

2. Can I access PF on other web browsers besides FireFox or Mozilla?

Yes, PF can be accessed on other web browsers as well. However, FireFox and Mozilla are recommended because they offer a more seamless and efficient browsing experience on the platform.

3. How do I search for specific topics or keywords on PF using FireFox or Mozilla?

To search for specific topics or keywords on PF using FireFox or Mozilla, simply type in your search query in the search bar and hit enter. The results will display relevant discussions and posts related to your search.

4. Are there any special features or tools on FireFox or Mozilla that can improve my search experience on PF?

Yes, both FireFox and Mozilla offer various add-ons and extensions that can enhance your browsing and search experience on PF. Some of these features include ad blockers, password managers, and privacy protection tools.

5. Is it safe to search for PF using FireFox or Mozilla?

Yes, FireFox and Mozilla are known for their strong security measures and user privacy protection. However, it is always important to exercise caution when browsing and sharing information on any online platform.