How can I improve the current output at PD?

In summary, Thomas is conducting an experiment with a photodiode and an infrared laser. He is using a 4.5mW laser and expects a minimum current of 100uA at a distance of 10cm, but is only measuring 10uA. He is asking if this current makes sense and how he can improve it. Bob responds that the 0.6A/W sensitivity only applies to light at a specific wavelength and advises not to exceed 0.5 mW/cm2. Thomas clarifies that he is using a different photodiode and laser, both for 850nm.
thomas_n
Hi All,
I am doing the experiment with photodiode and laser light.
The laser source I used is 4.5mW infrared laser with OPV382 and the PD used is
SFH206 with 0.6A/W intensity. I put the the laser source and the PD at 10cm apart. Then 1ohm series resistor is put at PD circut to measure the current.
The current measured is only 10uA.
My question is
(1) does that 10uA current make sense? I am expecting minimum 100uA with that light source and that distance.
(2) How can I improve the current output at PD?
Thanks,
Thomas

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is a photodiode's output current?

A photodiode's output current is the flow of electric current produced by the photodiode when it is exposed to light. This current is directly proportional to the intensity of the incident light.

How is a photodiode's output current measured?

The output current of a photodiode can be measured using a current meter or a multimeter set to measure current. The photodiode is connected in series with the meter, and the current reading is taken when the photodiode is exposed to light.

What factors affect a photodiode's output current?

The output current of a photodiode is affected by the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, the size and material of the photodiode, and the external circuitry used to measure the current.

What is the relationship between a photodiode's output current and voltage?

The output current of a photodiode is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it. This relationship follows Ohm's law, where the output current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance of the photodiode.

How is a photodiode's output current used in practical applications?

The output current of a photodiode is used in various applications, such as light detection, light measurement, and optical communication. It is also commonly used in light sensors, solar cells, and photovoltaic systems.