Wave functions and dynamic question

In summary: It shows how much the wave number changes along 1 meter.In summary, the conversation discusses the displacement caused by a wave on a string, given by the formula y(x,t)=(−0.00217 m)sin[(44.4 m−1)x − (728 s−1)t]. The individual is attempting to find the number of waves in 1 m, the number of complete cycles in 1 s, wavelength, and frequency. They initially use the formula Acos2pi(x/λ - t/T), but realize they need to use Acos(kx - wt). They correctly find the wave number, k, to be 44.4 m^-1 and use this
yjk91

Homework Statement

The displacement from equilibrium caused by a wave on a string is given by
y(x, t) = (−0.00217 m)sin[(44.4 m−1)x − (728 s−1)t].

i need to find

(b) number of waves in 1 m
waves

(c) number of complete cycles in 1 s
cycles

(d) wavelength

(e) frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

i first thought the wavelenght was 44.4m because of the formula
Acos2pi(x/λ - t/T)

but then i realized that you had to use the other formula : Acos(kx - wt)

so k = 1/44.4m = 2pi / λ

so λ wave length is 278.97m ?? is this right?

then w = 2pif = 1/728s

so f = 2.186 * 10 ^-4 HZ

and with λ and f you can find the Velocity

not sure if i found λ and f right? can you please tell me if i did it right?

b) number of waves in 1 m
i'm guessing you find this by 1/λ

(c) number of complete cycles in 1 s
and you find this by doing 1/ T

i just want to make sure this is right. if the λ and f are right so i can get the rest of the answer

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
yjk91 said:
The displacement from equilibrium caused by a wave on a string is given by
y(x, t) = (−0.00217 m)sin[(44.4 m−1)x − (728 s−1)t].

The units look weird. Instead of m-1 use m-1 or 1/m. The same for s-1.
So the wave is y(x,t)=(−0.00217 m) sin[(44.4 m−1)x − (728 s−1)t].

yjk91 said:
k = 1/44.4m = 2pi / λ

No, k=44.4 m-1. Otherwise your way of solving the problem will be correct.

ehild

ehild said:
No, k=44.4 m-1. Otherwise your way of solving the problem will be correct.

ehild

so k =44.4m^-1

does that equal to k = 1/44.4m what does m^-1 mean?

yjk91 said:
so k =44.4m^-1

does that equal to k = 1/44.4m what does m^-1 mean?

No, because k=1/44.4m is the same as 1/44.4 m^-1, which is 0.0225 m^-1. k is proportional to the inverse of the wavelength and wavelength is measured in m, so you'd expect the units to be m^-1.

Your calculations for wavelength and frequency appear to be correct. To find the number of waves in 1 m, you can use the formula n = L/λ, where n is the number of waves, L is the length (1 m in this case), and λ is the wavelength. In this case, n = 1/278.97 = 0.0036 waves. Similarly, to find the number of complete cycles in 1 s, you can use the formula n = 1/T, where T is the period (1 s in this case). In this case, n = 1/1 = 1 cycle. So your answers for parts (b) and (c) are correct.

For part (d), you are correct in using the formula λ = 2π/k, but your calculation for k is incorrect. The correct value of k is 44.4 m^-1, which you can obtain by dividing 2π by the wavelength (44.4 m). This gives a wavelength of 0.1416 m or 14.16 cm.

For part (e), you can use the formula f = ω/2π, where ω is the angular frequency (728 s^-1 in this case). This gives a frequency of 115.9 Hz.

Overall, your approach and calculations are correct. Just remember to use the correct values for k and ω. Great job!

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a quantum state, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location or state. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is a wave function related to dynamic systems?

A wave function is used to study dynamic systems, which are systems that change over time. In quantum mechanics, the wave function evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the quantum state of a system changes over time.

3. What is the uncertainty principle and how does it relate to wave functions?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This uncertainty is described by the wave function, which shows the probability of finding a particle in a certain location. The more precise the position of a particle is known, the less certain we are about its momentum, and vice versa.

4. Can wave functions be measured or observed?

No, wave functions cannot be directly measured or observed. They are mathematical constructs used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, the results of measurements made on a quantum system can be used to infer information about the wave function.

5. How are wave functions used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, wave functions are used to represent the state of quantum bits (qubits), which can exist in multiple states simultaneously. By manipulating the wave function of a qubit, operations can be performed on multiple states at once, allowing for more efficient and powerful computation compared to classical computers.