How Much Would You Weigh in Space Versus on the Moon?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: Zero... but that's because you don't have the natural force of the ground to push up on the scale, which in return determines the weight...
Miike012
F = Gmm'/r^2

Does this explain the sum or total gravitational force between two bodies?

Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
F = Gmm'/r^2

Does this explain the sum or total gravitational force between two bodies?

It's just the gravitational force between two point masses. The gravitational force is equal and opposite on each mass.

If you have three masses, you'd need to apply more rules with the formula to get the resultant force.

Ok thank you.
Maybe you can help with this question as well...

During a jump off a diving board, is your apparent
weight (a) equal to your true weight, (b) slightly less
than your true weight, (c) slightly more than your true
weight, or (d) zero?

The answer is zero? I thought it would have been (b)

Last question... what is the equation...

F is proportional to m/r^2

Actually one last question also... Why do we use the gravitational constant G?
Is this only relevant to earth? therefore if I wanted to calculate the gravitational force of an object to mercury I would have to use another value that is not G?

Miike012 said:
Ok thank you.
Maybe you can help with this question as well...

During a jump off a diving board, is your apparent
weight (a) equal to your true weight, (b) slightly less
than your true weight, (c) slightly more than your true
weight, or (d) zero?

The answer is zero? I thought it would have been (b)

Why do you think it would have been b?

If you held a bathroom scale against your feet during your jump, what do you think the scale would show as your weight?

Miike012 said:
Actually one last question also... Why do we use the gravitational constant G?
Is this only relevant to earth? therefore if I wanted to calculate the gravitational force of an object to mercury I would have to use another value that is not G?

G is a universal constant, so in any calculation with that formula you'd use one value of G.

DaveC426913 said:
Why do you think it would have been b?

If you held a bathroom scale against your feet during your jump, what do you think the scale would show as your weight?

Zero... but that's because you don't have the natural force of the ground to push up on the scale, which in return determines the weight...

But I also know w = mg... and you have to have some initial acceleration greater than g and NOT zero to move upward... there for weight would exist... would it not?

So if I was listening to my self I should have actually said the weight would stay the same.

Miike012 said:
So if I was listening to my self I should have actually said the weight would stay the same.
Weight is what a scale measures. It measures the force placed upon it. On the moon you would weigh less.

How much would you weigh in space, if you pressed the scale against your feet? (What would keep the scale pressed against your feet if you let go of it?)

How much would you weigh if you pressed it against your feet while suspended in midair (after you've left the ground)?

1. What is a formula?

A formula is a mathematical expression that uses symbols, numbers, and variables to represent a relationship between quantities. It is used to solve problems and make predictions in various fields of science and mathematics.

2. How do I know which formula to use?

The formula you need to use will depend on the problem you are trying to solve and the variables that are given. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before selecting a formula to use. Consulting a textbook or asking a teacher or mentor for guidance can also be helpful.

3. Can I create my own formula?

Yes, you can create your own formula as long as it accurately represents the relationship between the quantities in your problem. However, it is important to test and validate the formula before using it for any important calculations.

4. How can I remember all the formulas?

It can be challenging to remember all the formulas, especially if you are working in multiple fields of science or mathematics. One way to remember them is to understand the concepts behind the formulas rather than just memorizing them. You can also create cheat sheets or flashcards to help you review and practice using the formulas.

5. Why do I keep getting different answers when using the same formula?

If you are getting different answers when using the same formula, it could be due to errors in your calculations or incorrect input of values. It is important to double-check your work and ensure that you are using the correct values and following the correct order of operations in your calculations.