Interpretation of the distribution of brownian motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a missing link in understanding brownian motion and the distribution of sample paths. The speaker is comfortable with the method of Fourier series and fokker-planck equations, but is struggling to explain the distribution of sample paths. They mention the use of gaussian process prior and want to understand how brownian motion creates a distribution over functions. They also mention a related problem of diffusion and suggest reading an article for a helpful approach to thinking about paths.
coolnessitself
Hi all,

I feel like there's a missing link in my understanding of brownian motion. I'm comfortable with the "method of http://fraden.brandeis.edu/courses/phys39/simulations/Uhlenbeck%20Brownian%20Motion%20Rev%20Mod%20Phys%201945.pdf" where the signal is written as a Fourier series, and with fokker-planck equations and diffusion. I'm somewhat comfortable with an introductory theory of stochastic processes.

What bothers me is that I can't explain to myself what the distribution of sample paths means. For example, a statistician might want to do inference on an unknown scalar field. They place a gaussian process prior on the field, and from that can get a pretty good fit. I think of a GP as a distribution over functions.
So brownian motion is a GP, with some added conditions. But if it's a GP, I don't understand how W(t), dW(t), or \int W(t) create a distribution over functions. I can see how there's some probability that the sample path will be in a particular interval (y,y+dy), but that's not quite the same to me.

Help me out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is a type of random motion that is exhibited by small particles suspended in a fluid. It was first observed and described by scientist Robert Brown in 1827.

2. What causes Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is caused by the random collisions between the particles and the molecules of the fluid in which they are suspended. These collisions result in the particles moving in a random and unpredictable manner.

3. How is Brownian motion related to the distribution of particles?

The distribution of particles in Brownian motion follows a normal distribution, also known as a Gaussian distribution. This means that the majority of particles will be found in the center of the distribution, with a smaller number of particles found at the edges.

4. What is the significance of interpreting the distribution of Brownian motion?

Interpreting the distribution of Brownian motion can provide valuable information about the properties of the particles and the fluid in which they are suspended. It can also be used to study the behavior of these particles and their interactions with the surrounding environment.

5. How is the distribution of Brownian motion affected by different factors?

The distribution of Brownian motion can be affected by various factors such as temperature, particle size, and viscosity of the fluid. Higher temperatures and smaller particle sizes can result in a wider distribution, while higher viscosity can result in a narrower distribution.