Solve Probability Question: Draw 2 White Balls from Bag

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the bag contains 3 white balls and 2 black balls. The first draw produced a white ball and the first ball was not replaced. The probability of drawing a white ball at the beginning was 2/5 and the current probability is 1/2.
ms. confused
Can anyone tell me how I would solve this question:

A bag contains 3 white balls and 2 black balls. The first draw produced a white ball. The first ball is not replaced. What is the probability that the second draw will produce another white ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
ms. confused said:
Can anyone tell me how I would solve this question:

A bag contains 3 white balls and 2 black balls. The first draw produced a white ball. The first ball is not replaced. What is the probability that the second draw will produce another white ball?

You mean it's not put in the bag again.Okay...
Hint:What was the probability of pulling a white ball in the beginning??What is the formula of probabilities??How would you go abot now...??

Please,show me how you think.The purpose of this forum is to guide U solve the problem,not me..!

Ok well i see the probability of drawing a white ball at the beginning as being 2/5

Might want to recheck your work.

ms. confused said:
Ok well i see the probability of drawing a white ball at the beginning as being 2/5

How did u figure that out...??It's important to show your judgement,as well,since apparently it is to blame for erroneous results...
Again...??What' the initial probability and why...?

No, at the beginning the bag contained 5 balls, 3 of which were white.
The probability of drawing a white ball, at the beginning was ?/5.

However, your original question is different. After drawing a white ball out, the bag has 4 balls left, 2 of which are white. What is the probability of drawing a white ball now?

When simplified the probability now is 1/2.

What is the probability of drawing 2 white balls from a bag?

The probability of drawing 2 white balls from a bag depends on the total number of balls in the bag and the number of white balls. The formula for calculating probability is: (Number of desired outcomes) / (Total number of possible outcomes). In this case, the number of desired outcomes is the number of ways to draw 2 white balls (combination) and the total number of possible outcomes is the total number of balls in the bag (permutation). For example, if there are 5 white balls and 10 total balls in the bag, the probability would be (5C2)/(10C2) = 10/45 = 1/9.

Is the probability affected if the balls are not replaced after each draw?

Yes, the probability of drawing 2 white balls from a bag will be affected if the balls are not replaced after each draw. This is because the total number of balls in the bag will decrease after each draw, and therefore, the number of possible outcomes will also decrease. This will result in a lower probability of drawing 2 white balls.

What is the difference between probability and odds?

Probability and odds are both measures of the likelihood of an event occurring. However, they are calculated differently. Probability is the ratio of the number of desired outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes, while odds are the ratio of the number of desired outcomes to the number of non-desired outcomes. For example, if the probability of drawing 2 white balls from a bag is 1/9, the odds would be 1:8 (1 desired outcome to 8 non-desired outcomes).

How can I increase the probability of drawing 2 white balls?

The probability of drawing 2 white balls can be increased by increasing the number of white balls in the bag or decreasing the total number of balls in the bag. For example, if the bag originally had 5 white balls and 10 total balls, increasing the number of white balls to 7 would increase the probability of drawing 2 white balls to (7C2)/(10C2) = 21/45 = 7/15.

What is the probability of drawing at least 1 white ball from the bag?

The probability of drawing at least 1 white ball from the bag can be calculated by subtracting the probability of drawing 0 white balls from 1. The formula would be: 1 - (Number of ways to draw 0 white balls / Total number of possible outcomes). For example, if the bag has 5 white balls and 10 total balls, the probability of drawing at least 1 white ball would be 1 - (5C0)/(10C2) = 1 - 1/9 = 8/9.