Gauss-accelerated piston to replace mainspring in airrifles

• Thread starter hardraade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piston
In summary, it is not possible to increase the power of a spring-powered rifle by replacing the spring with iron. A battery powered system would be necessary to achieve a 35 joule discharge of energy, but would require external battery compartments or casing to avoid adding too much bulk to the rifle.
hardraade
I was wondering if I could match and exceed the 20-joule effect of a springpowered rifle by replacing the spring with a suitable length of iron behind the original piston, so the eddycurrents can do its thang.

I was wondering how much energy that's needed for a...say...35 joule of power in one stroke\discharge of EMP.
I want to know if its even possible to batterypower the thing without strapping on a backpack of carbatteries..
Or if it could be possible with several rechargable hicap.batterypacks for demanding softguns or small, dry marine batteries for boats that could at least partly conseal the batt.and capacitators in a hollowed out stock compartment\bracing myself for a somewhat bulky and...not sleek appearance of the rifle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it is not possible to increase the power of a spring-powered rifle by replacing the spring with a suitable length of iron. Energy output in a firearm is determined by the amount of propellant and the pressure created by it when ignited. Increasing the mass of the piston would only decrease energy output.In order to achieve a 35 joule discharge of energy, you would need to use a battery powered system. This could be achieved through either a backpack of car batteries, several rechargeable high capacity battery packs, or several dry marine batteries. All of these options would require some sort of external battery compartment or casing to keep them from adding too much bulk to the rifle.

1. How does a Gauss-accelerated piston work?

A Gauss-accelerated piston works by using a magnetic field to accelerate the piston in an air rifle. The piston is attached to a ferromagnetic material and surrounded by an electromagnet. When the electromagnet is turned on, it creates a magnetic field that pulls the piston forward with great force, replacing the need for a mainspring.

2. What are the advantages of using a Gauss-accelerated piston in an air rifle?

There are several advantages to using a Gauss-accelerated piston in an air rifle. Firstly, it eliminates the need for a mainspring, which can be bulky and cumbersome. This allows for a more compact and lightweight air rifle. Additionally, the Gauss-accelerated piston provides a smoother and more consistent shot, improving accuracy.

3. Are there any downsides to using a Gauss-accelerated piston in an air rifle?

One potential downside to using a Gauss-accelerated piston is the cost. The materials and technology used in creating the piston and electromagnet can be expensive. Additionally, there may be compatibility issues with existing air rifle designs, requiring modifications or a completely new rifle to be purchased.

4. How durable is a Gauss-accelerated piston compared to a mainspring?

A Gauss-accelerated piston is generally more durable than a mainspring. The lack of moving parts in the piston means there is less wear and tear, resulting in a longer lifespan. However, proper maintenance and care are still necessary to ensure the longevity of the piston.

5. Can a Gauss-accelerated piston be used in all types of air rifles?

In theory, a Gauss-accelerated piston can be used in any air rifle that currently uses a mainspring. However, as mentioned before, there may be compatibility issues and modifications may be necessary. It is best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer before attempting to replace a mainspring with a Gauss-accelerated piston.

Back