Math REUs 2012: When Can We Expect Decisions?

• Thread starter ktupv
  • Start date
In summary: I'm on the short-list!In summary, people are waiting to hear back from REUs, but no one is discussing when decisions will be made.
Actually I don't remember seeing anywhere that on most math REU sites saying a requirement of classes. At least not CSUCI or SDSU.

Physics news on Phys.org
deadsupra said:
Actually I don't remember seeing anywhere that on most math REU sites saying a requirement of classes. At least not CSUCI or SDSU.
Of the thirteen I applied to I know at least 7 required it.

camilus said:
I got into UW stout, did anybody else?

I reallllly wanted to go to Emory, but I found the project way too late.

Ah that stinks. I really wish I had my applications together sooner. I didn't think offers were going to be made to people in most of these programs before the actual application deadlines.

Also, I'm just curious, what kind of courses/research experience have you had? haha, I guess I'm just feeling a bit confused as to how I didn't get an offer, as I did feel pretty confident about my application.

Who else is going to Bard? I am going there.

After rejections by Boise State, UNC-Asheville, Fairfield, Indiana, Channel Islands, SUNY-Potsdam, and six weeks without any sort of notification from Oregon State, I was accepted to the University of Washington REU this morning, three days after submitting my application.

So I got rejected from SUNY, Cornell, William&Mary, Fairfield, Indiana, UW-Stout. Haven't heard from Ursinus yet. so 6/7 rejected and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting into that last one.

What do you need to get into these things?... I did a year of algebra and analysis, topology, differential geometry, and also graduate algebraic topology. Most of the REUs I applied to were topology/algebraic topology ones so I think I had enough background for those? Also one of my recs is from my topology professor who likes me a lot..

so I don't have research experience in math since I did some kind of theoretical neuroscience/applied math thing the summer after freshman year. does everyone who gets into these things already have significant experience doing math research? I don't see how I could have done anything useful in math after freshman year, I didn't know nearly enough stuff back then.

anyway I'll be working with a prof at my school on algebraic topology, so hopefully things will still work out fine. I really wanted to do an REU though... I guess I still have next summer but I wanted to apply for the NSA thing then.

Anyone know what's up with the UMichigan REU? I sent an email yesterday and haven't heard anything since submitting my app.

I emailed Umich and they told me my application is still under review

longtm1989 said:
I emailed Umich and they told me my application is still under review

Interesting, they actually responded and said I didn't make the cut (very kindly - something like "you're qualified to do an REU somewhere, but it just didn't work out here, sorry!").

riemannia said:
After rejections by Boise State, UNC-Asheville, Fairfield, Indiana, Channel Islands, SUNY-Potsdam, and six weeks without any sort of notification from Oregon State, I was accepted to the University of Washington REU this morning, three days after submitting my application.

I was just accepted to the University of Washington REU 2012! I look forward to seeing you there!

<h2>1. When will decisions be made for the Math REUs 2012?</h2><p>Decisions for the Math REUs 2012 are typically made in late spring or early summer. The exact date may vary depending on the specific REU program, so it is best to check with the program directly for more information.</p><h2>2. How will I be notified of the decision?</h2><p>Most REU programs will notify applicants of their decision via email or through their online application portal. Be sure to check your email regularly and keep an eye on the program's website for updates.</p><h2>3. What factors are considered when making decisions for the Math REUs 2012?</h2><p>Each REU program may have different criteria for selecting participants, but common factors include academic achievement, letters of recommendation, and research interests that align with the program's focus.</p><h2>4. Is it possible to appeal a decision?</h2><p>It is not common for REU programs to allow appeals of their decisions. However, if you believe there was a mistake or error in the decision-making process, you can reach out to the program directly to inquire about their appeal process.</p><h2>5. If I am not accepted, can I reapply for the Math REUs in the future?</h2><p>Yes, you are welcome to reapply for the Math REUs in the future. Keep in mind that each year's application process is competitive, so it is important to continue building your academic and research experience to strengthen your application.</p>

1. When will decisions be made for the Math REUs 2012?

Decisions for the Math REUs 2012 are typically made in late spring or early summer. The exact date may vary depending on the specific REU program, so it is best to check with the program directly for more information.

2. How will I be notified of the decision?

Most REU programs will notify applicants of their decision via email or through their online application portal. Be sure to check your email regularly and keep an eye on the program's website for updates.

3. What factors are considered when making decisions for the Math REUs 2012?

Each REU program may have different criteria for selecting participants, but common factors include academic achievement, letters of recommendation, and research interests that align with the program's focus.

4. Is it possible to appeal a decision?

It is not common for REU programs to allow appeals of their decisions. However, if you believe there was a mistake or error in the decision-making process, you can reach out to the program directly to inquire about their appeal process.

5. If I am not accepted, can I reapply for the Math REUs in the future?

Yes, you are welcome to reapply for the Math REUs in the future. Keep in mind that each year's application process is competitive, so it is important to continue building your academic and research experience to strengthen your application.